Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation - What to do with the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation - What to do with the pool

We are going out of town for a week and a half and are debating what to do with the pool

Suggestions so far are

1) Slam the pool with clorox to maybe 20 ppm and put the winter cover on.
    2) Use tri-chlor pucks - have a neighbor replenish every 3 days and deal with stabilizer buildup on return
    3) Have the neighbor dump a 120 oz jug of clorox into the pool every 3rd day.

Thoughts?

Current numbers are
    pH=7.5
    FC=7
    cc=0
    TA=100
    CYN=42

and won't change much from these values
    24' Round 14000 gal AG - installed June 2, 2015
    Saltwater Hayward AquaRite w/TCell - 9
    Waterway 26" sand filter w/ 2HP 2 speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation - What to do with the pool

I would do the combo of pucks and adding bleach just to be on the safe side.

Nice to have friends who will help.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I would do all 3. Raise FC to shock level, toss some pucks in the floater and have a neighbor pour in some bleach. Your CYA probably needs to come up a little anyway. Unless you live in the cold part of TN!

Also, if your PH moves around much then adjust it to 7.2 or 7.8 depending on which way it moves.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm wondering what happens to FC if I bring it up to shock levels and then cover the pool. Will it last a week and a half ?? I will also have a neighbor put a couple of pucks in the skimmer every 3 days.

Anyone have any real life data ??

5. Back To Top    #5

Depending on the type of cover, it can help to reduce FC loss during the day. It may not hold FC on its for 1.5 weeks, but it should help you. Pucks don't dissolve all that fast, so simply adding a couple in a floater should be fine. I wouldn't put them directly in the skimmer. If your pump was to go off, they could cause a problem there. But adding the liquid bleach every 2-3 days (regular, generic is fine) would be a good thing as well to ensure anything lost (FC) is replenished.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL, our pools are like another pet, eh?

We often go on 3-4 week vacations (wife and I work for the same company...LOVE the amount of vacation we get per year! ).

The Liquidator plays a big role for us (I max it out for chlorine...8 gallons). Pool cover as well although it only keeps tree stuff out but that still helps a ton. I turn off the solar heating and due to inactivity in the pool, I can run the VS pump very low.

I also have from back in the puck days, my plumbed-in puck feeder that can handle about 6 or 7 pucks IIRC so I'd fill that up as well.

And as a final, SLAM the pool. Now go enjoy your vacation and don't worry about your pool pet.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Just me mindful of the CYA in the pucks. Hopefully, you have some room there.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

It depends also on your pool water temperature, but if your pool cover is opaque or mostly opaque then perhaps your daily chlorine loss will be roughly 1 ppm FC at say 10% FC/CYA levels. So let's say that this is 20% of the FC level for your particular CYA. 10 ppm FC after 10 days would be 10*(1-0.2)10 = 1.1 ppm FC. So you can't really go more than a week even if you were to start with significantly elevated chlorine levels. Using Trichlor pucks in a feeder to supplement the chlorine in addition to starting with it elevated is probably the way to go.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Well.....it seems to have worked. I started with an elevated TC and had the neighbor add one puck a day. We also had significant rains and the neighbor took it on himself to operate the filter backwash (and leave the electrical box open to the elements).

But the pool was crystal clear when I returned after 12 days. We then when on a shorter vacation over the Labor Day Weekend and this time only used an elevated TC. It looks OK except for some leaf vacuuming needed. And the cc is 0.5 ppm (was always zero)

This afternoon I will check the FC at dusk and next morning. But Im guessing it will be OK.

I think we lucked out.

10. Back To Top    #10

I normally just bring the FC up to 8-ish and the pH down to 7.2 (since it rises on me) and then add a few pucks to the auto-chlorinator. A couple of pucks will not raise your CYA enough to even notice....in the neighborhood of 3 ppm. Mine is an inline chlorinator so it will cover the spa and pool. If you don't have one in-line and use "floaters"...and are worried about the pump not running like Pat said....I would suggest putting a floater in the spa as well (tied to something of course so it doesn't move out of the spa/spillway. Personally I don't go that far...but Pat did make me think of another "worst case scenario" I haven't considered before.
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

11. Back To Top    #11

I spoke too soon. There is a stain around the floor perimeter. Argh.

Update: It seems to be dirt.....not algae