Replacing my pool cleaner, what to go with? P360, P380+BP or Robot. Please chime in !

Jul 23, 2015
Ridgewood NJ
Hi all,

Newbie to the forum,which I stumbled upon trying to do some homework on the direction to take withregards to the next pool cleaner & set-up to use.

Pool owner for thepast 12 years, fairly hands on but took me about 4 before getting down pat the opening, closing and chemicals part :cool:

Over the 12 years Ihave gone through and being handy personally replaced 2 DE pool filters, 2Super pumps, 3 Heaters, 2 Polaris’ and 2 booster pumps 3 chlorinators, and 1 electricalbox, 2 timers and 1 pool light. I haverePVCed all the equipment and Jandy valves many times as well!

Ok down to biz…. My Polaris380 (2010) is on its last leg, not worth repairing again, kids dropped it onthe patio pavers and chassis is split, unbelievably it still does its job, say 80%. The Polaris Halcyon booster pump (2009)just started to make that high pitch metallic noise telling me the motor ballbearings are about to go.

Pool: in ground 18x40 +8x14 ‘L’ shaped, approx 34,000gallons. New vinyl installed in 2013
Fiberglass steps on one side of the foot ofthe ‘L’ part of the pool, attachedfiberglass spa with narrow steps on the other side (all in ground)
2 skimmers, 3 returns, one mid pool intake & 1 nearby dedicated return for thePolaris system.

Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward 2hp Super Pump,Rheem 399k Pool Heater, Hayward automatic chlorinator
The spa has 4 return jets, 2 bottom intakes and can betotally separated from the pool flow by turning 2 of the 3 Jandy valves.

General comments (which sort of dim the standalonerobot path):
1. I like to leave mt current 380 in the pool atall times, clean the bag once per week or if visibly showing the need.
2. I run the Polaris in conjunction with the pool filtering system for 5 hours(12am to5am) per day to minimize lengthy noise
3. Maple & pine trees nearby so leaves & pine needles always present (I need toclean the skimmers 2 or 3 times per week).
4. Teen kids, so debris (of all kinds) finds its way into the pool. Weekly chipmunk, mouse or mole in the pool(floating or at the bottom) once a week.
5. I vacuumonce per month, sweep the walls every other week and do not want to have to domore than this. I have given up the stepsunless guests coming, the kids and their friends just drag in fine debrisconstantly from the yard.
6. Plentyof pressure, even to the Polaris return though the 380 moves only sluggishly withoutthe Booster pump.
7. I livein north NJ so I open the pool mid-April and close it end of September.
8. When closing the pool I put a tarp between the water and the Mako cover so the poolhas only some debris from the fall/winter.

My dilemma:
Replace both (380 + PB4-60Booster pump = $780 delivered to me, Amazon),just get a 360 - no booster ($445delivered to me Amazon) or pony up some big bucks and get a standalone robot, no clue as to what Ineed ($ ??).

After rereading all of this I guess ,my real questionis how efficient “cleaning wise” is a Polaris 360 vs 380 (vs say T2 Aquabot) giventhe $ 335 savings upfront + say $100 per season in electricity switching to a360 or the incremental cleanliness of a robot for the extra $700 (vs 360) orextra $365 (vs 380 + Booster Pump)?

THANK YOU inadvance for all the comments, information, suggestions and recommendations.:)

Best, Gman

Welcome, Gman. I don't have a Polaris so can't compare, but I do own and enjoy a Robot (dolphin m4 supreme) and can tell you what I like about it.

I have a very high-debris-pool as I have a forest at the top of the terrace surrounding my pool.
Eg. At some times of the year I am cleaning the skimmer twice a day to avoid clogging! For me, te m4 does an awesome job and doesn't miss a spec. The capacity of the dual cartridges and the convenience of top-loaders to clean is awesome.

And even though Maytronics will tell you its not meant to stay in the pool, mine spends the majority of its time there without any trouble. So on a high-debris, windy day, I am able to have the robot running and the skimmer working (plus a pool skim) all at the same time, which does a GREAT job of keeping the pool very clean. The difference between life before the bot and now is quite distinct ;)

So, in your shoes, debris-lad notwithstanding, I'd just want to keep the pine needles OUT of the pump basket, which I hate cleaning, so I would choose a good Robot for That reason alone ;)

Thank you for your comment :), I have read in some robotic cleaner reviews that keeping the robot in the pool all the time slowly waterlogged the foam/buoyancy handle and made it hard for the robot to do its thing, glad to hear not the case with the Dolphin.

Pine needles, I buy them skimmer basket stockings things which do a great job blocking the Pine needles and genera floating pollen, tree flower beards and little pine nubs in the spring, I rinse them out after emptying so can get 2 weeks out of one before trashing it.

I'll be looking into the Dolphin M4 Supreme, ty!

Gman

I have a Polaris 280. I also have just 2 months experience caring for a pool, for whatever that's worth. The pool was set up for a pressure side cleaner but did not have the equipment. The guy who replaced all the equipment recommended the Polaris and said the more basic ones were extremely reliable. The 280 cleans beautifully in about two hours.

Would go with 360, why pay for more electric when not needed. All you need to do is add a 3 way valve so you can turn it on and off. one last note you can convert 380 to 360, you just need to get the bigger tubing and replace the inside piece where the tubing connects to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.