Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak!

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak!

I have the pool listed in my sig. The air ring around the top has a leak. It leaks just enough that if I don't fill it up once in the am and again in the pm, the pool will collapse in the night. I have tried spraying the whole ring with Windex to find the leak and I have soaped it all up with a rag and dish soap but can't find the leak. I hired a buddy to try to find it and he failed twice!

Two times now I have forgotten to refill the tube with air and found my pool half collapsed. I have had to fill it back up and get the chemicals back in order the way they are supposed to be. This is a pain.

I hope someone has a better way to find leaks in these types of pools and shares that with me. Until then I also wish I could just fill the tube with something buoyant that will harden so I don't have to worry about the leak. Another idea was something to fill the ring with smoke or dyed air so I can see the leak. The last idea was to attach a few well placed buoyancy devices like buoys every x amount of feet to keep the ring afloat.

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    6,618 gallon above ground Intex Easy Set model 10320 inflatable ring 18' X 48" rubber pool.
    Intex model T633 2,500 GPH single speed 1/2 hp filter pump.
    Rinz-N-Reuz Replacement Filter.
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak!

Wow that sounds like a pain. Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. Good luck.
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

3. Back To Top    #3

Here you go, answer to all your questions regarding the leak. Just read through all the posts.

The pool noodles and pvc pipe seem the best option if failing to find leak.

Trouble keeping Intex Easy Set Ring Inflated
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

4. Back To Top    #4

Get a roll of saran wrap.

Cut a piece about 1 1/2 feet long and dip it in the water, and then slide it onto the air ring. Continue doing this all around the pool. Any air leaks will appear instantly under the saran wrap.

hope this helps
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

You should look for a good deal on a new pool. I bought my 20'-52" Intex Ultraframe for $209.00 at Target last fall.

6. Back To Top    #6

Target and Academy are already marking down the Intex stuff.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I've had several Easy Sets in the past, but once I tried a metal frame, I'll never go back. Get an Ultra Frame if you can.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

8. Back To Top    #8

I have inflated several tires with the expanding foam. I don't know if it would work but if you are going to chuck the whole pool maybe try it. IF the inflation tube is similar to a regular bike valve it might work. I took the special thing from a bottle of "Tire Goo" it's also called Green Slime. You need the valve stem remover. Remove the valve stem form the pool inflation thing. Once the little pin is removed you can introduce the extra expanding foam into the top inflated collar. The expanding foam ( You must use gloves and wear old clothes-foam gets every where) loves water so you could add some water to the collar before adding foam.. You need a tube like the one that comes with the green slime. I think you will need help pushing the expanding foam chemical all the way around the collar. The foam I used inflated the tire and expanded and then hardened. I know it works on tires I need to be hard, like the wagon, the wheelbarrow. I don't know if the weight of the foam would be too much.

You could try adding the green slime for tires. It's supposed to seal up holes in tires but finding small leaks but you would have to smoosh it around the whole circle.
    Used pool 1995 Lomart 18'x48" just installed 7/16/2015, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP 2 speed pump, 16" Rx Clear Radiant sand filter ( used pea gravel and zeolite) foam wall, polystyrene bottom, liner 25 gauge overlap, TF-100 test kit. Son training for 2018 Paralympics, Hoping for solar heater of some sort. Good chance Labrador will be in pool. Colorado Prairie, 6000 ft elevation high mountain desert, clay soil

9. Back To Top    #9

Great answers. I had tried and re-tried the spraying of soapy water on it and never detected anything. I tried to listen real close all the way around inside and out and found nothing. I overfilled it and got in with goggles and searched the entire underwater portion of the ring and there were no bubbles. I love the saran wrap idea and will try it next. I also heard the stethoscope works well but I don't have one. I'll get one if the Saran wrap fails me. Thanks again for the ideas and the links.
    6,618 gallon above ground Intex Easy Set model 10320 inflatable ring 18' X 48" rubber pool.
    Intex model T633 2,500 GPH single speed 1/2 hp filter pump.
    Rinz-N-Reuz Replacement Filter.
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O.