Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st time pool owners, cloudy water from returns

1. Back To Top    #1

1st time pool owners, cloudy water from returns

Hi!
    This site comes highly recommended, your reputation preceeds you!

We bought a house in November and didn't open the pool until last week because we were waiting for our fence installation. Currently pH is 7.1. Alkaline is 45, but probably already corrected with B/W's. Chlorine a little low but was told it would be in the correct range with another shock.

Upon initial examination I thought there was sand in the pool. After vacuuming once, and actually removing all of it, so it looked shiny and clean, the next morning the same crud was back on the bottom of the pool again. I initially thought that I wasn't careful enough in disconnecting the vacuum and I allowed debris back in. By the third vacuum I was absolutely positive that was not the case. Today I finally observed the origin of it. After vacuuming, backwashing and adding DE I turned the filter back on and saw the water coming back through the returns was cloudy. It almost looks white, like DE. I am supposed to add that into the skimmer under the basket right? Sigh. I worked so hard three times to clean the pool spic and span and with one flick of a button I trash it again. I turned the filter off and figured I'd see what you all had to say. I would be grateful, so grateful for any suggestions or advice.

Thanks!
    Roxanne
    24-26K gal, IG concrete/plaster 08-09, DE filter, 1.5 HP, Polaris 380, well water, Jackson NJ, 1st time pool owners. Don't have all numbers. Not a multi port valve. Thanking you all in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st time pool owners, cloudy water from returns

After backwashing are you rinsing before going back to filter?
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Robertmee for your response.

In my quick lesson from the man who opened the pool there was no guidance as to rinsing between backwashing and filter. I know nothing of this. What is rinsing? Rinsing what? I know that this is not a multiport valve. There is a black toggle. I raise it and turn it 180 degrees to the left for back wash. Then I add DE and turn it back to it's starting position. Am I missing this step?
    24-26K gal, IG concrete/plaster 08-09, DE filter, 1.5 HP, Polaris 380, well water, Jackson NJ, 1st time pool owners. Don't have all numbers. Not a multi port valve. Thanking you all in advance!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah....I wrongly assumed you had a multiport valve.

Maybe this link will help
    How To Clean Your DE Filter - Leslies Poolapedia
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

That's ok Robertmee! I appreciate your offer of help. That should probably be something I mentioned in my signature huh. So could it be DE? Since I am adding it right before I turn the pump back on. If it is DE, should it be coming back in via the return? Is it dangerous to swim in? I would think so. The rest of the pool water is really nice. Not "sparkly" per sae, but nice very nice.

- - - Updated - - -

I just noticed your link, how to clean DE filter. Perfect! I was getting around to that begrudgingly! Going to read now.

6. Back To Top    #6

The only thing is this, upon opening the pool and start up we've been running at 25 psi. I don't know what is "normal" for our setup as I am not in contact with the previous owner. And that doesn't look too daunting, cleaning the filter, but I am wary of messing around with it, unless I know I definitely have to, as the clamp ring and bolt are bent. And I foresee and issue finding another as they are no longer manufactured.

7. Back To Top    #7

Open your DE and inspect your grids. I had a grid with a hole the size of a pencil in it. Every time I back washed the filter, when I put it back on line and added DE, the water from the returns would get cloudy, and I got DE on the floor of the pool. I replaced the grid for about $20 and it had been fine since.
    30,000 gal IG 20x40 8ft deep end vinyl liner in NE Ohio DOB Sept 2012
    Hayward 4820 DE filter, Hayward SP2610x15 1.5HP single speed pump
    Hayward H400FDN natural gas heater, Frog min'l/Cl2 system (not in use)
    autocover, Dolphin DX4 cleaner, well water, TF100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Also, read this section in TFP about DE operation and maintenance, especially the section about proper back flush. It helped me resolve my DE issues.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...for-DE-filters
    30,000 gal IG 20x40 8ft deep end vinyl liner in NE Ohio DOB Sept 2012
    Hayward 4820 DE filter, Hayward SP2610x15 1.5HP single speed pump
    Hayward H400FDN natural gas heater, Frog min'l/Cl2 system (not in use)
    autocover, Dolphin DX4 cleaner, well water, TF100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne1 View Post
    The only thing is this, upon opening the pool and start up we've been running at 25 psi. I don't know what is "normal" for our setup as I am not in contact with the previous owner. And that doesn't look too daunting, cleaning the filter, but I am wary of messing around with it, unless I know I definitely have to, as the clamp ring and bolt are bent. And I foresee and issue finding another as they are no longer manufactured.
    can you take a picture of the filter, we are pretty good at finding things we may be able to get it fixed...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

also, you might find a useful video or two about your filter on youtube. I found mine and it helped me taking mine apart the first time.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir