Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balancing the levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing the levels

While we're trying to figure out how much of this and that to put in to balance everything out, is it safe to actually be in the pool?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Pool:
    15'x30'x54" Saltwater 8000 Oval Pool
    Hayward XStream 150 Cartridge Filter System 1.5-HP Power-Flo Pump
    Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Balancing the levels

If your FC is above the minimum and below SLAM level for your CYA and you can see the bottom of the pool, then generally yes. If pH is way off it can be unpleasant but probably not unsafe.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, according to the test strip:

TA: between 180-240
    FC: 1
    pH: 7.2
    CYA: 0

I entered these numbers into the calculator on this site and things got very confusing. The container of CYA says to add about 4 lbs., but the calculator said to add 6 lbs. The calculator also said 0 for TA, because of the pH level. ??? I dunno what to do. So we started by adding about 4 lbs. of CYA to the skimmer, and we'll check it tomorrow and see what it says. The water is pretty clear, but I have noticed that it is starting to look slightly cloudy, which is what prompted me to check it. The pool is new this year, and we have only ever put the salt in it, nothing else.

No, I do not have the TF-100 test kit. It all looks very confusing to me. I need simple.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Pool:
    15'x30'x54" Saltwater 8000 Oval Pool
    Hayward XStream 150 Cartridge Filter System 1.5-HP Power-Flo Pump
    Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator

4. Back To Top    #4

Add 30ppm of Stabilizer/CYA according to poolmath. More on how to add here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Once you get the 30ppm of cya in there chlorinate your pool according the Chlorine CYA Chart. Keep your FC at target at all times.

Then read this, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and this Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach