Brand new AG Pool. Time for testing

I would lower my PH to 7.4, take my FC to 6 target level, and raise my CYA to 40-5o range for your location. Then check FC daily to make sure you don't fall below minimum for your CYA. You may need a higher target number than 6.

Having trouble getting CYA up. Only at 35 after adding 5 pounds. Adding 10% chlorine by the gallon daily but without the cya, I am losing most of the chloride. Back down to 1 ppm this morning again. Have not been over 2 since we put water in the pool last week.

This morning's readings"
FC 1 ppm
CC .2 ppm
pH 7.4
TA 100
CH 44
CYA 35
temp 86 F

CYA can take up to a week to register correctly on a test so if it has already completely dissolved, assume your new level is at the target you set when you added it. Also, check the date on the container of chlorine you are using. If it's not a fresh date, possibility is that it is not as strong as it was originally.

First - your chlorine test measurements in .2 increments: If you look a little further down in the K-2006 instructions, you'll see info on using a 10mL sample instead of 25. Do that and only use 1 scoop of DPD powder. It will conserve your powder and #3 reagent and will be faster since you have to count less drops. The .5 increments are plenty accurate enough for our purposes here.

Now, Pool Math says that five pounds of granular CYA would put your CYA at 36 from zero. Unless you've been using some other form of chlorine (dichlor/trichlor tabs or granular chlorine/shock), I would assume that to be accurate. Personally my pool is somewhere in the ballpark of 35-40 and I'm content with it there. I use about 2-3ppm of chlorine per day when it's really sunny. 128oz of 10% chlorine should give you a full 6ppm. If you are dropping that much per day, I suspect something in your water is consuming it. I think I'd do an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to confirm and then SLAM if necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.