Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new AG Pool. Time for testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new AG Pool. Time for testing

I have been running through the website for the summer and our pool is now in place. Water is in a equipment is installed. What comes next? Do I start with FC and try to get that right? I had FC=0 and pH = 8. Are there other numbers I need to worry about on day one?

Thanks in advance.
    16,770 gallons, 18*33 AG Diamond Star buried 2 feet, vinyl liner
    Waterway 2 hp 2sp cartridge, July 2015
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new AG Pool. Time for testing

HOW-are you testing your water?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I bought the K-2006 testing kit.
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

I did my testing this morning and I believe these are my results

FC = 1.8 ppm
    pH = 7.8
    TA = 100
    CH = 90
    CYA <30
    Taylor K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

I would lower my PH to 7.4, take my FC to 6 target level, and raise my CYA to 40-5o range for your location. Then check FC daily to make sure you don't fall below minimum for your CYA. You may need a higher target number than 6.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Since it's AG i'm assuming vinyl, so you don't' really need to do CH until you really like to. I think testing is fun so I do them all when I test.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Need to pick up Muratic Acid to make that adjustment. Working toward the other recommendations. Is every 6 hours the right time to check? I have the CYA in a shirt at the skimmer, so how long will it take to see that level rise?
    Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Having trouble getting CYA up. Only at 35 after adding 5 pounds. Adding 10% chlorine by the gallon daily but without the cya, I am losing most of the chloride. Back down to 1 ppm this morning again. Have not been over 2 since we put water in the pool last week.

This morning's readings"
    FC 1 ppm
    CC .2 ppm
    pH 7.4
    TA 100
    CH 44
    CYA 35
    temp 86 F
    Taylor K-2006

9. Back To Top    #9

CYA can take up to a week to register correctly on a test so if it has already completely dissolved, assume your new level is at the target you set when you added it. Also, check the date on the container of chlorine you are using. If it's not a fresh date, possibility is that it is not as strong as it was originally.
    33 Round AGP, 26K gal, vinyl liner, 1 HP single speed pump, 1 Hayward wide mouth skimmer, Pentair sand filter, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Red Leopard Orbit suction auto vac, Pool School, TFTestkits, PoolMath, Support this Site!

10. Back To Top    #10

First - your chlorine test measurements in .2 increments: If you look a little further down in the K-2006 instructions, you'll see info on using a 10mL sample instead of 25. Do that and only use 1 scoop of DPD powder. It will conserve your powder and #3 reagent and will be faster since you have to count less drops. The .5 increments are plenty accurate enough for our purposes here.

Now, Pool Math says that five pounds of granular CYA would put your CYA at 36 from zero. Unless you've been using some other form of chlorine (dichlor/trichlor tabs or granular chlorine/shock), I would assume that to be accurate. Personally my pool is somewhere in the ballpark of 35-40 and I'm content with it there. I use about 2-3ppm of chlorine per day when it's really sunny. 128oz of 10% chlorine should give you a full 6ppm. If you are dropping that much per day, I suspect something in your water is consuming it. I think I'd do an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to confirm and then SLAM if necessary.
    * 18,500 gallons // 16x32 In-Ground Vinyl (27 mil Crystal Wave Aquaria) // Hayward SuperPump SP2605X7 3/4 HP // Hayward S220T Sand Filter // Hayward H250 Gas Heater // Hayward CL200 Chlorinator // Single skimmer + two return jets *