Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re: Help with multiport valve and spider gasket

1. Back To Top    #1

Re: Help with multiport valve and spider gasket

How often does a spider valve need to be replaced? My pool cleaning company replaced it about 12 months ago and claim it needs it again. Is that common?

2. Back To Top    #2

No. Spider gaskets should last longer than that. What's the make/model of the valve/filter? Are their symptoms that are prompting them to replace it?

It's a not so well known guideline that you should always try to only rotate the multiport handle in one direction. Always either rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise (your choice) no matter what position you're changing your valve to. Changing directions could increase spider gasket wear but even then it should last longer than just 1 year.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You should also only turn the multiport valve when the pool pump is off.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the advise. Right after the pool company cleans, there is still debris and a white substance that looks like "rock salt" remaining in the pool. They claim it is the spider valve, but I figured it shouldn't go out so quickly being that they just replaced. Unless they did a shoddy job the first time. I will check the make/model tomorrow.

5. Back To Top    #5

It's pretty easy to take the cap off the muliport and inspect it. Make sure pump is unplugged and you remember how the cap was oriented before taking it off.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

I believe some multi ports are more prove to premature failure than others.

I have a very old valve which uses a gasket design with extremely narrow separating "bars". If I accidentally operate the valve incorrectly, the gasket will pop out of position, never to work again. One mistake and that's it! The rubber swells ever so slightly over time so once the gasket has popped out, it cannot be made to set back in place, pooching up in the center of the bars slightly and rolling out of position the next time the valve is rotated.

That's why I think that for some multi-ports, it's important to follow the manufacturer's recommendation to glue the gasket in place. This allows it to survive occasional "operator errors", and the natural effects of slight swelling. The glue will help keep the gasket in position, although cleaning out the old glue certainly makes it more difficult for subsequent replacements.

There's several threads in this forum where the subject of "to glue or not to glue" has been discussed with valid pros and cons from both viewpoints. I've never actually glued my gasket in place, suffering through many annual replacements without glue, but I have a new gasket in hand and I'm pretty sure following the manufacturer's recommendation will extend it's longevity.

You may want to ask your installers what they did.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thought I'd throw this picture up of a 1 year old spider gasket showing how the dividing arms "pooch" up. I'm guessing this is from slight swelling of the rubber and the overall weakness of the narrow gasket. The gasket fit perfectly when new. This one is a candidate for replacement and glueing down.

Spider.jpg
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.