Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFTest larger CYA tube

1. Back To Top    #1

TFTest larger CYA tube

Have been using Taylor 2006 CYA test for couple of years. CYA runs 40-50 pretty consistently. My tube started getting a little grungy so ordered the larger tube and got a reading of 30. Am I doing something wrong with the bigger tube? Did it numerous times. Thoughts?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFTest larger CYA tube

If it was really grungy, it may have been letting in less light than a clean tube, leading to the dot disappearing sooner. Did you do the testing in full sun at your back in all cases? Try cleaning out the old tube by soaking/shaking in dilute bleach solution if you have not already thrown it out, then compare the two.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    If it was really grungy, it may have been letting in less light than a clean tube, leading to the dot disappearing sooner. Did you do the testing in full sun at your back in all cases? Try cleaning out the old tube by soaking/shaking in dilute bleach solution if you have not already thrown it out, then compare the two.
    Does the dot have to actually disappear completely? I am unsure of my reading because I can see the dot when the tube is filled to the top, but it is cloudy looking.
    AG 24' ( Columbia PL30-6 sand filter), 2hp 2 sp pump, cholorine, Tennessee
    Taylor k- 2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by fannd View Post
    Does the dot have to actually disappear completely? I am unsure of my reading because I can see the dot when the tube is filled to the top, but it is cloudy looking.
    Extended Test Kit Directions See this thread that has details on all the tests.

"Continue pouring until all traces of the black dot at the bottom of the view tube completely disappear..."
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

My old tube is clear but the black dot has flaked off in some spots. Puzzled by the different reading. Of course didn't think to test at the same time with the old tube also. I had just tested a few days ago w old tube and was at 50. Have to keep it there cause this awful heat in AL loves my FC. And yes tested w sun at back etc the way I always do. Thought w the larger tube maybe I needed to add more of something.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

6. Back To Top    #6

Which mixing bottle are you using ?..... Is the pool water fill line labelled 15 then fill with reagent to the break at the top?
    Taylor does make a couple different size mixing bottles.
    Kris
    14x26 rectangle vinyl liner pool . 1.5 hp 2 speed tri star pump, 2 aqua genie skimmers , no main drain. 175 sq ft star clear cartridge filter. 200,000 btu hayward heater Tf-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Using the one marked 7....I add water to 7 then the cya regent .... Could that be my prob?
    Montgomery, AL

8. Back To Top    #8

I think that's the one made for the comparator block with both ph and cya.
    You want the bottle with part # 9194. You have the 9191. Or the one from tftest kits.this applies to the taylor view tube that goes to 20
    Kris
    14x26 rectangle vinyl liner pool . 1.5 hp 2 speed tri star pump, 2 aqua genie skimmers , no main drain. 175 sq ft star clear cartridge filter. 200,000 btu hayward heater Tf-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Kmaz, ill have to order one,,,in meantime how much of pool water vs regent would I add to something I could use for now?
    Montgomery, AL

10. Back To Top    #10

Use your graduated cylinder 15ml of each preferably in very small squeeze bottle so you can shake it
    Kmaz

11. Back To Top    #11

It really doesn't matter what mixing bottle you use as long as:

1) the mix is 50/50 pool water and reagent
    2) it makes enough mixture to fully occlude the black dot.

If your CYA levels are high enough, it makes sense to use the smaller bottle with the larger tube to save on reagent.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Durk View Post
    It really doesn't matter what mixing bottle you use as long as:

1) the mix is 50/50 pool water and reagent
    2) it makes enough mixture to fully occlude the black dot.

If your CYA levels are high enough, it makes sense to use the smaller bottle with the larger tube to save on reagent.
    That...

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks yall...not really worried about the regents....I bought a large bottle end of last year
    Montgomery, AL