Cloudy pool after backwash and didn't use rinse cycle

Jul 23, 2015
Rowlesburg,WV
We have never had to backwash our filter because it was installed late last year. When we used backwash cycle we were unaware that you had to use rinse cycle following. All of the debris went into our pool and we have been running filter non stop to clear it up. Any suggestions? We have a Hayward Sand Filter.

You may want to turn the pump off and let everything settle on the floor of the pool overnight, then vacuum as much as you can to waste. After vacuuming, top off the water and raise the chlorine to shock level. Keep running the pump and filter after vacuuming and see if the water clears any.

You may need to complete the SLAM process to kill off any algae that may have been dumped back into the pool. Can you post a picture of how the pool looks now?

Well, you could look at it like this....your sand filter caught that dirt and debris once, there is no reason to think it won't catch it again.

I would vacuum as much as I could and then brush up the pool often to keep the debris suspended until the filter takes it right back out.

We tried the drop and vac method and it did settle everything to the bottom, but when we vacuumed it stirred it all up again. We tried shocking it with xtra blue that has algae killing crystals in it and that didn't help either. Unfortunately I have no way to post a picture but can describe. The water is blue just very cloudy and you can see what the liner looks like at the very top all around the pool for about a foot down and then very cloudy.

Update: Vacuumed pool for 4 hours this morning and pool did clear up a little. There was a slight green tint so I added algaecide about 20oz. Has been about 5 hours and pool is still cloudy. I checked my levels with aqua chem test kit (I know) unfortunately we live in the country and its 30 minutes just to Walmart but my levels are off the charts everything reading High. With test strips also. Suggestions?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Algaecide is not correct to kill algae.....chlorine is far better.

So if everything is "off the charts everything reading High" then I guess you are stuck with trying to get things lowered. If you can post real numbers, we may be able to suggest something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.