First time test, CYA and CC questions

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
TF-100 test kit just arrived today. The pool is in final stages of construction and only about half-filled, but the pump and filter were turned on today and the bottom drains and returns are operating even though the skimmer is not. So, at least I've got circulation. As of this morning I was reading zero chlorine with my previous test kit, so the pool guy came out and put in about a gallon of liquid chlorine (kind of surprised he didn't take any water samples before doing that). That was about 7 hours ago, and it's been a bright sunny day. Here are my readings:

Water temp. 90°
pH about 80
FC 6.5
CC .5
CH 75 ( I know this doesn't matter for a fiberglass pool, but I took it anyway)
TA 70
CYA: the dot never disappeared

I know the pH is high, and as soon as my wife gets home from Lowe's with muriatic acid I'll put in the recommended amount. Hopefully once the pH is acceptable the other readings will be more meaningful.

I'm surprised the CYA is so low. Pool Guy has had a floater with trichlor tablets in there for days, and the return jets are spewing out water that passes through a chlorinator with more trichlor tablets. Should I be concerned, especially since the FC is currently so high? I did the test twice and never saw the dot disappear even when the tube was full. What's supposed to happen? Does the water get too cloudy to see the dot?

also, pool math doesn't seem to have a place to input the CC number. Am I missing something?

Some observations for you:
- I doubt PH is "80". Maybe 8.0? Acid will be required to lower
- CYA...yes, the dot should disappear. Remember it takes about a week for CYA to show when entered via the sock method with granules. The tablets dissolve slower and may take longer. I like the granular method because I can predict more accurately what I'm putting in the water.
- Definitely keep the FC up - even if manually more often to avoid an algae problem.
- CC will simply be measure "immediately" after doing your FC test. You'll use the other reagent and R-0871 drops again.

Don't' be surprised by the PB adding chemicals the way they do. They did it to me as well. Just look back to all the TFP stuff you know about and you'll be fine. If you have any more questions, just let us know. Congrats on the pool and test kit!

You got it Maestro. Biggest thing right now is to keep that Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart close by. Program (add) for a specific CYA (i.e 30) and make sure your FC never drops below that related target. Your water should remain algae free if you do that. Then you can focus on other things like fine-tuning other levels, buying new pool toys, and inviting all TFP members over for a pool-opening party. :party:

Seriously though, remember not to add acid and bleach at the same time. They don't play nice together. 30 min apart please.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.