Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clear water but using way too much chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Kiowa, KS

Clear water but using way too much chlorine

I am new to TFP and really need some help. I am having trouble keeping my FC level up. I thought maybe it was an ammonia problem so even though I didn't have an ammonia test, I began slamming last weekend. I read and did everything recommended in pool school and kept my chlorine level at 20 for 1 1/2 days. After blowing through at least a dozen gallons of 9% liquid pool chlorine and seeing no results, I was disgusted and decided to let the level fall back down to a normal level. Purchased an ammonia test kit Monday and found that isn't the problem. Shocked it again last night just to see what would happen overnight and I dropped from 26 to 16 FC then dropped another 8 throughout the day today. Help!!

FC=8 1/2 (It was 26 last night before bed)
    Above Ground Dough Boy, Vinyl, 17,500 gallon, Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Clear water but using way too much chlorine

Hello poolmama and welcome to TFP! Chlorine loss is certainly important, and it's been hot the past couple weeks. Based on what you have stated, I would be inclined to recommend you continue your SLAM. I know it stinks, and is a lot of babysitting at first, but that's the only way to remove algae. A few things to consider:
    - Even though your SLAM FC is 20, make sure it never drops below that at ANY time. If you need to take it up a couple ppms, that's fine, but don't let it drop
    - Consider verifying your CYA one more time. If you record it as low, then you'll never be at the correct FC (which test kit are you using?)
    - Did you keep the pump on 24/7, sweep and brush each day - multiple times if possible?
    - CC of 1.5 indicates your pool is processing "trash" chlorine, so there's something going on; failed OCLT validates that as well
    Sorry I don't have better news or any other simple solutions, but I feel the SLAM is what you need. Just stick with it and "Maintain". I hope you resolve your issue soon.

Again, welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Dallas Ga

Re: Clear water but using way too much chlorine

You're obviously killing something. Might be hiding in the stairs or some other place like that. Also, algae is a very small bugger. You could be just on the edge of an outbreak and need to SLAM harder then most for some reason. SLAM isn't a one or two time thing. It's a continuous until it's done kinda thing. A clear pool is only one of the criteria. Low FC loss <1ppm and LOW CC under .5ppm are the others.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C