Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brushed Concrete vs. Acrylic Overlay - People who have the overlay, do you like it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Brushed Concrete vs. Acrylic Overlay - People who have the overlay, do you like it?

We are looking at different options for our brushed concrete. Has anyone had a spray on type product(ie acrylic overlay) on their pool deck concrete? Do you like it? How does it hold up? Do you have pictures?

Thanks
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brushed Concrete vs. Acrylic Overlay - People who have the overlay, do you like i

Bumping to see if anyone can offer you advice!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Brushed Concrete vs. Acrylic Overlay - People who have the overlay, do you like i

I bought a house from a flipper. They overplayed the pool deck and it looks pretty good but slippery. The problem is that where the seams in the concrete are it crumbles. Probably because of freezing.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I'm in Tucson, so freeze/thaw is not a problem. Our pool was originally planed with exposed aggregate deck, but due to issues with my neighbor's deck (which was built just ahead of mine), we were offered a no-cost option of textured acrylic coating. I'm very happy with the choice. Now after ten years of use the color was beginning to look just a bit faded, and a few hairline cracks were showing up. So I spent a couple days caulking the expansion joints and applying a new coat of the top color coating. A five gallon bucket cost me $125 and the deck now looks as good or better than the day it was first installed. The stuff is durable, cooler than concrete, non porous, doesn't stain, or mark easily, and it isn't slippery. It's really simple to recoat and freshen it up. However, I'm told that is important that you keep it sealed up so that water doesn't get under the coating and cause any de lamination.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    I'm in Tucson, so freeze/thaw is not a problem. Our pool was originally planed with exposed aggregate deck, but due to issues with my neighbor's deck (which was built just ahead of mine), we were offered a no-cost option of textured acrylic coating. I'm very happy with the choice. Now after ten years of use the color was beginning to look just a bit faded, and a few hairline cracks were showing up. So I spent a couple days caulking the expansion joints and applying a new coat of the top color coating. A five gallon bucket cost me $125 and the deck now looks as good or better than the day it was first installed. The stuff is durable, cooler than concrete, non porous, doesn't stain, or mark easily, and it isn't slippery. It's really simple to recoat and freshen it up. However, I'm told that is important that you keep it sealed up so that water doesn't get under the coating and cause any de lamination.
    Thank you. So we are in freeze thaw environment so applying sealer would be a regular thing. Did you get one color I assume?
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Single color. The texture is the standard Spanish Lace and the color is Sonoran Sand. I would think in a harsher climate you might want to recoat (top coat only) every two or three years. What is important is maintaining a completely impervious surface. Water penetration could cause problems. It's important to not ignore even tiny hairline cracks. When I recoated mine, I even caulked all the expansion joints and pushed the soil back at the edge of the deck so I could seal the edge of the slab. I want it to last another ten years looking like new.

Although this material can be stamped and textured to look like most anything you want (pavers, flagstone, brick, etc.), mine is the regular "knock down" type texture. It looks a lot like CoolDeck, but is much more durable.

This shows the color

Attachment 42638

And this shows the texture, but the color doesn't show correctly.
    Attachment 42639
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit