Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting to TFP/BBB with leftover granulated chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Converting to TFP/BBB with leftover granulated chlorine

Hi Everybody!

You might know me from the thread, "ImPower motor controller not working according to manual" but probably not because I don't think anyone read that thread.

Anyway... we inherited our in-ground plaster pool when we bought this house in 2013 and for the last couple of seasons I have been using 7-way test strips and HTH unstabilized granular chlorine along with the HTH + and - products from Walmart. I have not had trouble clearing the pool in the spring and keeping it clean and clear throughout the season - by sheer luck I suppose.

I plan to switch to the TFP method and I have a TF-100 waiting at a receiver across the border (Canadian, so hoops must be jumped through) that I will pick up tomorrow.

My question is this: Since I have 2/3rd of a pail of HTH unstabilized granular chlorine, can I still use this as part of the process? I think from my reading that using this raises the calcium hardness as that is what the chlorine is bound to in the granules? Can I use PoolMath to calculate how much granulated chlorine I would use instead of bleach/liquid chlorine?

Or is this just going to mess up the TFP process?
    Circa 1981 30' x 15' 20k plaster, 1-1/4 HP AquaPro APEXV1 pump, Jacuzzi MFM 20 Sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns, one main drain (piped to skimmer) 1.5" piping.
    TF-100 with SpeedStir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Converting to TFP/BBB with leftover granulated chlorine

Wait and see what your new test kit tells you about calcium hardness (CH) in the pool water. Since your pool is plaster, you do have to pay attention to calcium levels.

If it turns out you are low in calcium, then cal hypo could be used, so long as CH doesn't go too high. However, if you've been using this type of chlorination for a while, as you say, chances are that you CH is already on the high side. What does the pail of unstabilized granular chlorine say on the label for chemical content?

I hesitate to ask, but what have your test strips been saying about calcium hardness?
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello "DM" up North! If that's the product I think it is, (Cal-Hypo) then yes, some folks will use it with the understanding it may raise their CH (hardness) as well. You might want to look at that carefully first since you have a plaster pool. Also, at the bottom of the TFP calculator Poolmath calculator you can add an item (i.e. Cal-Hypo) and it will tell you the effects it will have on other areas. It's a great tool.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by DustMagnet View Post
    Hi Everybody!

You might know me from the thread, "ImPower motor controller not working according to manual" but probably not because I don't think anyone read that thread.

?
    I am dazzled that nobody replied to that thread as I just now looked it up and saw that 146 people viewed it. Amazing what gets answered and replied to and what doesn't.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

5. Back To Top    #5

Honestly, we've had many discussions about replies. Once we "open" or reply to a thread, it stays on the main page(s) for an hour or two depending upon forum traffic, then it gets totally buried. Most viewers will never see it again. So rather than just reply with a generic "hello", we opt to leave it in the "Unanswered" column in hopes that someone who may be familiar with that specific item can see it and answer appropriately. It's a tough call sometimes because we never want someone to feel like they were overlooked. But at the same time we want the post to be answered constructively with a possible solution. There are a few posts that are still waiting for an "expert" reply.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

The pail says calcium hypochlorite 47%.

The test strip is showing a color between the 250 and 500 ppm blocks on the container for "Total Hardness", which is marked as the "OK" range.

I am eager to see what the TF-100 reveals. (Ordered with the speed-stir because toys.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by otter86753 View Post
    I am dazzled that nobody replied to that thread as I just now looked it up and saw that 146 people viewed it. Amazing what gets answered and replied to and what doesn't.
    Well to be honest, that was a pretty specific issue on a specific and less-popular model of pump.
    Circa 1981 30' x 15' 20k plaster, 1-1/4 HP AquaPro APEXV1 pump, Jacuzzi MFM 20 Sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns, one main drain (piped to skimmer) 1.5" piping.
    TF-100 with SpeedStir.

7. Back To Top    #7

That's one of the limitations of strips, not to mention that when you look at the TFP chart Pool School - Recommended Levels it recommends between 250-350. That's tough to find on those strips. I would stay on the low end if at all possible in case you find-out later when your TF-100 arrives that it's actually higher. You can always add to increase CH, but lowering ... not so easy.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Hello "DM" up North! If that's the product I think it is, (Cal-Hypo) then yes, some folks will use it with the understanding it may raise their CH (hardness) as well. You might want to look at that carefully first since you have a plaster pool. Also, at the bottom of the TFP calculator Poolmath calculator you can add an item (i.e. Cal-Hypo) and it will tell you the effects it will have on other areas. It's a great tool.
    Yes, I just saw that the calculator can use cal-hypo - I guess I can choose the 48% selection as close enough?
    TF-100 with SpeedStir.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by DustMagnet View Post

Well to be honest, that was a pretty specific issue on a specific and less-popular model of pump.
    You are very generous! It was specific, but three weeks and nothing?
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by otter86753 View Post
    You are very generous! It was specific, but three weeks and nothing?
    No worse than AquaPro support! Nah, they were trying...

TF-100 with SpeedStir.

11. Back To Top    #11

Back from a camping vacation on a lake almost as clear as my pool!

After a diversion south of the border for Nexus interviews and something waiting for me at the package receiver's...

To paraphrase an old commercial, "Only in America, eh? Pity." (Red Rose Tea 1977 TV commercial - YouTube)

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we test!
    TF-100 with SpeedStir.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, I've got the first three covered!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

First TF-100 results:

FC=0.5
    CC=0.5
    TC=1
    CH=300
    TA=130 (wiping tip after each drop)
    CYA=<20 (can still discern pale grey dot when tube is full)
    PH=7.4

So... I guess I don't want to use the rest of my cal-hypo since my CH seems to be right (200-400)?

I guess I'll go get some bleach and CYA tomorrow.

Man do I feel like some sort of scientist dropping drops into the speedstir, checking colours and writing down results.
    TF-100 with SpeedStir.

14. Back To Top    #14

Fun, isn't it!

Since you don't have any liquid on hand, you could throw some cal-hypo in tonight. The rise in CH is not as big of a deal compared to your low/nonexistent FC. If it were me, I would!

Then buy lots o' liquid tomorrow!

15. Back To Top    #15

Glad to hear you have your kit now. If you have any questions about what to add or how in the future, just let us know. Most of it you will find on these links:
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Poolmath calculator
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

16. Back To Top    #16

I would use liquid chlorine as your normal chlorine source. But hang on to the cal-hypo and use it when you have those occasions when you do need to raise the CH level. If you drain for winter closing then you'll probably need to raise the CH when you open next season and you can use the cal-hypo then or after backwashing (if you have to add water).

Now that you have a great test kit you will know when your CH level is low enough to use some of the cal-hypo.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

17. Back To Top    #17

Went to Walmart to pick up some cyanuric acid and bleach. Acid yes, bleach... one jug of Clorox with Fibreguard(tm) and three small jugs of Clorox concentrated bleach. Neither had a % on the label. Large empty space where all the Great Value bleach would be. Didn't realize there was such a hot market for the stuff.

I could have bought HTH Liquid Shock - aka 10% bleach - but $5.47 for 4L seemed pricey.

I put the acid in socks in front of the returns and squeezed periodically. Will it still take a week when dispersed that way?
    TF-100 with SpeedStir.

18. Back To Top    #18

Yikes! Is that the only store by you? I don't know about Canada and their rules for labeling and I can't seem to find any info on fibre/fiberguard. You need to get lots of chlorine as a SLAM is probably in your future. Very frustrating for you!

Do you have any big box hardware stores where you are? Every store I visit, I check prices, strength, and freshness of product. Maybe a pool store if you have any by you...

It's been a while since you posted. Do you have any current test results? (Don't test CYA...yes, wait a week).

19. Back To Top    #19

Haven't done a full re-test since the 6th, but we've only been in the pool once since then and it's still clear as a bell. As for big-box stores: Home Depot out here only carries Clorox for $5.99 per 3.78L. Rona Home and Garden lists Old Dutch bleach 5L for $3.49, but I'd have to go check the % solution - the MSDS from the manufacturer's site refers to 1%-4.9%, which is pretty low. Haven't been into the Costco in a bit. Also there is a Dollarama in the area I can go check out. No Lowes out here or other BBS.
    TF-100 with SpeedStir.

20. Back To Top    #20

Hey DustMagnet, I'm in Montreal, QC and the best price I found for Liquid Chlorine is at Canadian Tire. They have a brand called Aquarius which sells at 4.99$ for 5 litres (10.8%) but it's often on special for 3.99$. From my usage of it so far this year seems to be as good the Clorox that sells for 5.99$ (or more) for 5L.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0813327P/aquarius-aquarius-liquid-chlorine-5-l-reviews/reviews.htm
    In-Ground Dauphin Pool (circa 1970), 21K gallons, Vinyl liner, 1.5 HP Hayward Pump, Hayward Pro Series S-244T Sand Filter, LIQUID CHLORINE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast