Liner corners stretching - is this normal?

JimPNJ

Jul 20, 2015
NJ
Hello everyone – new pool owner here. We have an inground vinyl liner pool that was installed about two months ago. Already I am seeing the corners where the wall meets the floor start to pull back and curve a little bit. It feels hollow behind them, like there maybe air back there. The corner has pulled away maybe 2" from being 'square'. Think more like a C than an L shaped corner.

Can somebody please let me know if this is normal (as my pool installer of course said). We have a pretty high water table but we had drains everywhere so I'm hoping this isn't the beginning of a floating liner. Please let me know if this is normal or if I should push back on my installer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, Jim, and congrats on your new pool. I didn't originally build the pool I own but I do read up now and then about vinyl liners because mine is 15 years old ;)

First off, I have noticed this in many pools, including my own in some corners. Secondly, I have read that it is a symptom of a tendency on the part of pool builders to install liners that are just slightly smaller than measured in order to have a nice snug fit without wrinkles, wherein the liner is stretched slightly to fit.

I don't have any way of helping you determine just how much stretching is too much stretching, but will note that my liner, as I mentioned, is 15 years old and has never torn or leaked and has a robot romping around daily to clean it ;) So its quite likely that you don't have to worry about it, with an even higher probability that it is completely unrelated to water table issues...with water infiltration, you would instead find squishy bubbled areas that then turn into wrinkles when the water table recedes -- and that would be floor and walls as opposed to corners.

To keep vinyl liners nice, you want to keep your ph in range, and to stay within "safe" guidelines if ever you need to "shock" or slam ("shock level and maintain" -- a TFP phrase representing the most effective way to eliminate algae issues.)

To maintain these safe ranges, I highly recommend either of the two test kits, TFT100 or specifically the Taylor K 2006, because both can test higher FC when slamming and both can test CYA, and both will give you the most accurate ph levels, etc. as they are drop kit tests. Here's a link: TFTestkits.net

The easiest way to have a "trouble free pool" is to use the maintenance method advocated here, so have a read about the approach...the method is based on maintaining the correct ratio of cya:chlorine, and I've not HAD to shock in the four seasons since discovering this site while recovering my foreclosure pool ;)

Please let us know if you ave questions or require guidance on your water chemistry and routine, and enjoy your new pool!

Great reply and makes me a little more comfortable. Just received my test kit the other day. Spending hours every night it seems reading about the Chems. Been very hot here the last week in NJ so struggling to keep up with the chlorine. I think I need to raise my CYA as well as its only around 40. Seems like I should be around 60-80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.