Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bought a $100 tub of "In the Swim" chlorine tabs before finding this forum..

1. Back To Top    #1

Bought a $100 tub of "In the Swim" chlorine tabs before finding this forum..

i don't want to use them now that it appears liquid chlorine is these most efficient way to go.

any suggestions? should i plan to use them as well or sell on ebay?

i really hate that i spent that money literally 2 days before finding this place

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bought a $100 tub of "In the Swim" chlorine tabs before finding this forum..

Welcome! If you haven't opened them, can you take them back? It you have, you can save them for vacation or opening next spring. Have you ordered a test kit yet?!?!
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Bought a $100 tub of "In the Swim" chlorine tabs before finding this forum..

I did the same thing. It's my understanding that the tabs & pucks will last years & years. I believe it's ok to use them if your CYA is low. Stop using when it gets into the proper range.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Tell us about your pool, and please add that info to your signature. You can use them in the future most likely, but without knowing about your pool, I can't say if it might not be better if you should return them.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

updated sig. i put photos in my first post and i'm embarrassed i haven't been able to measure the pool for more accuracy.
    33x15' INGROUND pool roughly 14,800 gallons. liner, hayward multiport, sand filter (S-210S), pentair century 3/4hp pump (1081) & 320 automatic chlorinator. skimmer at one end of pool, 2 returns at the other.

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you able to return the tabs?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, and thanks for changing your sig. That's OK, your pool is big enough to save them for future use, and you may be able to use them now,made pending on what's in the water presently.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks! ok, i promise to get my act together and have better info soon.
    33x15' INGROUND pool roughly 14,800 gallons. liner, hayward multiport, sand filter (S-210S), pentair century 3/4hp pump (1081) & 320 automatic chlorinator. skimmer at one end of pool, 2 returns at the other.

9. Back To Top    #9

I might get scolded on this forum, but there is a place for tabs used along with the TFPC method. They should not be used in a daily application. But if you are gone for a long weekend, or a week, using a tab or two here or there is better than not having any chlorine added while you are away. This especially applies if you are in a location where the pool is seasonal, and you get rain, because you can expect some water replacement/draining due to rain and pool closing. Now for people in LA, or Arizona with 12 months usage and no rain, they need to be more careful.

I look at it this way. If you keep your CYA in line, say at 30, if you add a tab, that will make your CYA go up by 3 (assuming 10K gallons). Is 33 really worse than 33? Plus, if you get hard rain and have to drain out a couple of inches of water, you will get your CYA back to where it started at 30 anyway.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

you can keep them and use them for vacations, or bringing CYA back up if it drifts low over the summer like mine does. But, we're talking maybe 6-8 a year. If you'd rather have that chunk of money now, you can return the mega tub and just buy half a dozen individually wrapped to keep on hand.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir