Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light burn marks

1. Back To Top    #1
    Madison, AL

Pool light burn marks

Hi everyone,

So I'm swimming around in my pool and I notice burn marks coming from the light. It's about size of nickel or quarter near light & goes up, thread like. about 3 inches. It's unnoticable unless you dive under & look. The light still works I think (will test tonight).

What can cause that? I think I should hire pool certified electrician. Guess I'm just looking for anyone who may have experienced something similar.

35,000 gallon 20 x 40 IG vinyl salt water using 2 Saltron Retro SWCG
    Hayward Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed and Hayward C5025 SwimClear Cartridge Pool Filter
    Waterco Electroheat 125 Titanium Heat Pump 125,000 BTU
    Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump and Polaris 280 F5 Vac-Sweep Cleaner
    Coverstar Automatic Pool Cover and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Pool light burn marks

Are you sure they are burn marks? Could it be algae? Take the light out and see if there is some funky stuff back there.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Wildomar, California

Never heard of pool light burn marks, but I have seen rust marks from a light screw that was not stainless or something else inside the niche that was rusting.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sacramento, CA

You get burn marks from arcing -- I don't think it arcs under water can we get a picture? Much ore likely this is rust or algae.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall