Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dirty, cloudy spa water when heat is turned on

1. Back To Top    #1

dirty, cloudy spa water when heat is turned on

Just started happening. When I turn on SPA mode and Heat water in the SPA becomes cloudy as if some kind of powder DE is released into the water.
    If I flip between spa and pool for a couple of minutes it clears and remains clear when I turn back into SPA mode only.
    This happens every time I turn on heater though. Is the heater going bad? What is the cause of this?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Wildomar, California

Re: dirty, cloudy spa water when heat is turned on

Does this happen if you turn pool on first and then go to spa mode or you go out and turn spa on first? It always helps to know whether this is a spa or pool condition with your pool. I don't believe it is heater related.

3. Back To Top    #3

You should make sure you run your spa mode for about 15 minutes a day and any jets or blower also to get fresh chlorine in your pipes. This may be your problem. I have mine programed to turn the spa mode on at the end of the day for 15 minutes, the spa jets 5 minutes and the blower 1 minute during that time.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

I run spa and pool always at the same time in about 20/80 mode. The problem occurs regardless if I am running pool and then switch to spa or if I turn on spa right away. There is a stop in the middle what I am wondering if the problem exists in pool mode as well only it clears up before I can observe it because of the volume of water? So this is the initial burst of DE that for some reason is happening when the pump is first turned on after any (no matter how short) period of being off.