I love to experiment; just switched to chlorine from baq. I planned to take my 17500 AG pool to 50 ppm borate with borax. We swam yesterday AM and I noticed lots of water bugs.
Later in the day, I proceeded to add the borax and acid. Through the process, I wondered if this might clean up the water bugs as well as the other benefits.
Last night (after testing the water), we swam again; wouldn't you know it - the water bugs are all gone. This AM, I did a bit of Googling - and found that - of course - boric acid is
http://www.beyondpesticides.org/infoser ... _borax.htm
- a pesticide, long used to kill various bugs (but I suspect much higher concentrations
- a herbicide - interrupts photosynthesis
- a fungicide
(1) has anyone else noticed this? (getting rid of water bugs)
(2) if I'm running this at 50 ppm, that would be - what, 50mg/liter? So I'm just sanity checking, my 6 year old daughter came in from swimming last night, crying. (1) she was tired and needed to be in bed, we just enjoyed the pool too long; (2) she had a belly full of gas, we figured that she swallowed too much air, needed to let it out (which she proceeded to do). Assuming that this stuff isn't toxic at this level, what IS the level that would cause problems? I understand that it takes 2-3 grams / kg to kill a rat. Less than that to injure it. It appears that borax has a similar toxicity as table salt? Can't think that would cause any problems (or drive out bugs in #1 above)?
(3) it appears that, since boron doesn't break down, if it is repeatly administered to a lawn, it will eventually build up and kill the lawn until it leaches out - maybe takes years? I'm thinking not a problem at this level. http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/plants/BG522.html
I have personally concluded that, at these levels, no toxicity to bugs or humans. But I'd love to see a discussion that uses real info (not just guessing like I am).