Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing/Balancing Pool+Spa Combo

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing/Balancing Pool+Spa Combo

For those of you who have pool and spa combos, do you test and balance each body of water separately? I've only been testing and balancing my pool water but I do have the pool water circulating through the spa. I'm wondering if that's sufficient.
    30 x 20 IG Play Pool + 7' Spa ~16K Gallons, French Gray Plaster, Pentair Intelliflow VS, Pentair CCP420, Pentair MasterTemp 400K Heater, Intellibrite LEDs.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing/Balancing Pool+Spa Combo

Do you have a return in the spa so that the spa water overflows into the pool whenever your pump is running? If so, I would think it would be balanced fairly closely to your pool water (unless you just added chemicals to the pool and it hasn't had a chance to distribute yet through the plumbing.

Mine is set up this way and I have never tested the spa water. I have only pulled my test water from the pool.
    My Pool Build
    15k gal IG freeform w/ attached spa, Wet Edge Luna Quartz Bermuda, 3.5' to 5.5' depth, Intelliflo VS pump, Cartridge filter, MasterTemp heater
    1 hp Whisperflo for ledge bubblers/weeping rock wall, Polaris 280, EasyTouch 8 Automation, Intellibrite 5G color LED's, TF-100 w/ Speedstir, Stenner Peristaltic Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup, my spa spills over into the pool. I was curious to know how everyone else does it.

Thanks!
    30 x 20 IG Play Pool + 7' Spa ~16K Gallons, French Gray Plaster, Pentair Intelliflow VS, Pentair CCP420, Pentair MasterTemp 400K Heater, Intellibrite LEDs.

4. Back To Top    #4

I test pH and drop it to 7.4 prior to use. I do not use my SWG during spa use (even on the lowest output setting, it raises the FC too much for my liking). Afterwards, I test pH/FC/CC and then turn on the SWG for 30-60mins (low speed, no heater) to bump the FC back up and oxidize the bather waste a little. Then I dump it all back into the pool and let it run normally (spa spillway) for another hour.

I might use the SWG if I have a spa party but it's typically just me and the wife.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates