Restored Buster Crabbe, aluminum coping, coping clips, etc.....

May 31, 2015
Kennesaw, GA
Recently bought 50 year old house with 44 year-old pool. After two months of projects around the pool, I've gotten a lot accomplished.

Patched major hole in vinyl liner.
Installed new Pentair pump and converted to SWG (Pentair Intelichlor)
Removed, repainted, and reinstalled all aluminum coping panels, and really nice aluminum "coping clips"

All is well and we're enjoying it daily with grandkids.

It can be done!
View attachment 40430 Before - May 23, 2015:D
After.jpgAfter - July 21, 2015

I used a couple of coats of a metal primer (Glidden, I think) and at least four coats of a BEAR deck/floor coating that the Home Depot sales person described as a "one step" epoxy product. It is holding up very well, but I made one mistake. I sanded the coping panels with a medium-coarse steel wool that left some very tiny particles that have created some very tiny brown specs. So, I recommend sanding with sandpaper.

I setup a work/paint area that allowed me to work with four or five sections of coping at a time. The paint dried rapidly enough that I could paint continuously - e.g., the paint on the first section of coping was dry by the time I finished the fourth, so I did not have to wait before applying subsequent coats.

Was not too bad a job, but re-attaching the coping to the frame was a bit of a struggle, as the plastic channels were mostly shot. Drilled pilot holes and used #10 stainless steel screws. Initially, the screws could not "bite" into the steel frame underneath, but then tried using the blue concrete screws to cut "threads" into the frame, and then the stainless steel screws worked great.

Good luck.

Update - One Year Later
Continuing challenge with original coping. The pool was originally installed with a unique "track" component for attaching both the liner AND aluminum coping that is shown in the photos above. The original track material is some type of plastic that is/was installed horizontally on the top of the pool wall and underneath the aluminum coping. The track material has become brittle and badly deteriorated - to the point it is no longer effective in holding up the liner/or the aluminum coping.

When I repainted the coping I was able to firmly reattach the coping to the pool wall by drilling pilot holes through the coping and the top of the steel wall structure. (FYI, the stainless screws were too soft to cut threads into the steel pool wall, but/so I used Tapcon concrete anchors to cut initial threads into pre-drilled pilot holes). But this did not address the random sagging of the liner - e.g., where the original track could no longer retain the liner/liner bead - and I'm now investigating a solution that will allow me to re-attach the liner bead.

I've seen several online companies that sell the Cinderella line of coping products and I am considering using (or at least testing) whether one of their "horizontally mounted" products can be installed underneath my original aluminum coping and, using the Cinderella product (i.e., HM-1, HM-2), allow me to reconnect the liner to the top of the pool wall.

Cinderella's website allowed me to ask questions about their products, and in response I received a very informative call from a very knowledgeable person at Cinderella. Cinderella does not sell directly to end users, but there are several sites that offer their products. I intend to give this a try, so stay tuned to this channel :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I made the clips myself. I believe I saw some "clips" on the Web at about the price you mentioned. Let me know if you'd be interested in having me make some for you, and how many you'd need.
So I put in a new liner last year, but could not come up with a solution for the coping. The coping originally had a plastic track underlayment into which the bottom of the coping attached. The plastic underlayment was completely shot and it has taken me several months to determine how to reinstall the original coping.

But I finally discovered a particular size of PVC trim material that seems to work perfectly. I have almost completed re-installing all the coping. It has taken a year but we will be ready for the season when the water temperature gets to a tolerable point. I have attached a photo. 3831C51C-8175-4559-8F67-4EA572F861FF.jpeg

I made the clips myself. I believe I saw some "clips" on the Web at about the price you mentioned. Let me know if you'd be interested in having me make some for you, and how many you'd need.
So I put in a new liner last year, but could not come up with a solution for the coping. The coping originally had a plastic track underlayment into which the bottom of the coping attached. The plastic underlayment was completely shot and it has taken me several months to determine how to reinstall the original coping.

But I finally discovered a particular size of PVC trim material that seems to work perfectly. I have almost completed re-installing all the coping. It has taken a year but we will be ready for the season when the water temperature gets to a tolerable point. I have attached a photo. View attachment 95989

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.