Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Restored Buster Crabbe, aluminum coping, coping clips, etc.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Restored Buster Crabbe, aluminum coping, coping clips, etc.....

Recently bought 50 year old house with 44 year-old pool. After two months of projects around the pool, I've gotten a lot accomplished.

Patched major hole in vinyl liner.
    Installed new Pentair pump and converted to SWG (Pentair Intelichlor)
    Removed, repainted, and reinstalled all aluminum coping panels, and really nice aluminum "coping clips"

All is well and we're enjoying it daily with grandkids.

It can be done!
    Attachment 40430 Before - May 23, 2015
    After.jpgAfter - July 21, 2015
    Leo In Kennesaw, GA
    Older 40x20 rectangular pool
    38,000 gallons
    Vinyl In-ground - Buster Crabbe
    Pentair Chlorinator - Salt - SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Restored Buster Crabbe, aluminum coping, coping clips, etc.....

Congrats and swim away!
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Otter. Having trouble posting pic of the coping clip.
    Leo In Kennesaw, GA
    38,000 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

nice job, looks great
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are pics of the new coping clips. Real happy with how they turned out.

After-1.jpgcoping clip.jpg
    Leo In Kennesaw, GA
    38,000 gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

The pool looks great. We have a Buster Crabbe pool and our coping looks terrible. What kind of paint did you use for the coping?

7. Back To Top    #7

Double posted. See below.
    Last edited by LeoInGA; 09-06-2015 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Double Posted
    Leo In Kennesaw, GA
    38,000 gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

I used a couple of coats of a metal primer (Glidden, I think) and at least four coats of a BEAR deck/floor coating that the Home Depot sales person described as a "one step" epoxy product. It is holding up very well, but I made one mistake. I sanded the coping panels with a medium-coarse steel wool that left some very tiny particles that have created some very tiny brown specs. So, I recommend sanding with sandpaper.

I setup a work/paint area that allowed me to work with four or five sections of coping at a time. The paint dried rapidly enough that I could paint continuously - e.g., the paint on the first section of coping was dry by the time I finished the fourth, so I did not have to wait before applying subsequent coats.

Was not too bad a job, but re-attaching the coping to the frame was a bit of a struggle, as the plastic channels were mostly shot. Drilled pilot holes and used #10 stainless steel screws. Initially, the screws could not "bite" into the steel frame underneath, but then tried using the blue concrete screws to cut "threads" into the frame, and then the stainless steel screws worked great.

Good luck.
    Leo In Kennesaw, GA
    38,000 gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Update - One Year Later
    Continuing challenge with original coping. The pool was originally installed with a unique "track" component for attaching both the liner AND aluminum coping that is shown in the photos above. The original track material is some type of plastic that is/was installed horizontally on the top of the pool wall and underneath the aluminum coping. The track material has become brittle and badly deteriorated - to the point it is no longer effective in holding up the liner/or the aluminum coping.

When I repainted the coping I was able to firmly reattach the coping to the pool wall by drilling pilot holes through the coping and the top of the steel wall structure. (FYI, the stainless screws were too soft to cut threads into the steel pool wall, but/so I used Tapcon concrete anchors to cut initial threads into pre-drilled pilot holes). But this did not address the random sagging of the liner - e.g., where the original track could no longer retain the liner/liner bead - and I'm now investigating a solution that will allow me to re-attach the liner bead.

I've seen several online companies that sell the Cinderella line of coping products and I am considering using (or at least testing) whether one of their "horizontally mounted" products can be installed underneath my original aluminum coping and, using the Cinderella product (i.e., HM-1, HM-2), allow me to reconnect the liner to the top of the pool wall.

Cinderella's website allowed me to ask questions about their products, and in response I received a very informative call from a very knowledgeable person at Cinderella. Cinderella does not sell directly to end users, but there are several sites that offer their products. I intend to give this a try, so stay tuned to this channel
    Leo In Kennesaw, GA
    38,000 gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

I once saw the aluminum coping clips for sale online, about a year ago, for around $22 each. I can no longer find them, and was wondering if you made these, or purchased them? If purchased, where from?

11. Back To Top    #11

I made the clips myself. I believe I saw some "clips" on the Web at about the price you mentioned. Let me know if you'd be interested in having me make some for you, and how many you'd need.