Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SLAM doesnt work

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM doesnt work

Split from original topic here: Day 3 of SLAM, little change

I found the slam method to be an extreme waste of time!
    One the above posters said 7 days per shock. What? really, why? Why waste so much time and effort?

Last year, I spent 3-4 days each time and many gallons of bleach. Kept ch level, ph, ca, etc at levels described. So, there's no using the pool for that time.
    I have a lot of trees and the algae kept coming back a few weeks later. Yes, I thoroughly cleaned the filter, light, walls, ladder etc. soooo much work.

I then used the Xtra blue pool shock, and haven't had any problems since.

In fact this year, I simply used this shock on opening with normal cleaning routine, and haven't had one algae issue all season thus far. I haven't even shocked the pool since opening in early May.
    Other than using my robot, I haven't manually cleaned the pool at all this year (since opening) with exception of a 1 routine de filter clean.
    Since opening I've used very little chemicals this year as well. A touch of dry acid because SWCG seems to allow ph to rise. Last year I had to add a lot of acid along with bleach.
    Enjoy your pool and don't waste the time with constant shocking and cleaning.

I'm sure someone will tell me that the Xtra blue is just some bs made up by the pool stores to get consumers to waste their money, and the chemicals used will kill my family, but I found it to be very inexpensive (less than $10), much more effective, no more harmful than extremely high chlorine, and much less time consuming than slamming.
    I'm enjoying my pool this year, and not constantly working on it.
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

2. Back To Top    #2

SLAM Doesnt work

Quote Originally Posted by mgarf33 View Post
    Last year, I spent 3 days each time and many gallons of bleach. So, there's no using the pool for that time.
    I have a lot of trees and the algae kept coming back a few weeks later. Yes, I thoroughly cleaned the filter, light, walls, ladder etc. soooo much work.
    In fact this year, I simply used this shock on opening with normal cleaning routine, and haven't had one algae issue all season thus far.
    Other than using my robot, I haven't manually cleaned the pool at all this year (since opening) with exception of a 1 routine de filter clean.
    Since opening I've used very little chemicals this year as well. A touch of dry acid because SWCG seems to allow ph to rise. Last year I had to add a lot of acid along with bleach.
    If you had Algae coming back, it was no fault of the SLAM. You either did not complete it, or you failed to maintain proper Free Chlorine after the SLAM. No two ways about it, Algae only grows in pools where there is an inadequate amount of Free Chlorine. It is impossible for Algae to start, or survive where you have enough, and there is no argument about that.

Also, if you had kept the pool balanced, there would never have been a need for a second or third SLAM if you did the first one correctly.

Lastly,this will be the last post in this thread regarding your SLAM. If you would like to discuss it further, I would love to do so, and be happy to create a new thread for that discussion elsewhere in a thread of your own. This one will not be hijacked any further with this subject matter.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

SLAM Doesn't work

just my 2 cents

My apologies to the OP if they felt I'm hijacking, but I believe I related my experience directly to their subject matter.
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

SLAM Doesn't work

Last year, I spent 3 days each time and many gallons of bleach. So, there's no using the pool for that time.
    In fact this year, I simply used this shock on opening with normal cleaning routine, and haven't had one algae issue all season thus far.
    We never recommend anything with copper in it and xtra blue shock is dichlor + clarifier + copper so by using this you are adding CYA, metals and who knows what from the clarifier...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...b7a35ebd17.pdf page 2 has the data..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

SLAM Doesn't work

just my 2 cents

My apologies to the OP if they felt I'm hijacking, but I believe I related my experience directly to their subject matter.
    Thank you for editing back to an apology.

I have created a new thread since you seem to want to continue the discussion.

What you originally said here was that I claimed your SLAM duration was not long enough. I don't know what your duration was and its irrelevant. You either did not complete the SLAM, or you did not maintain your FC correctly afterward. If you did, you would not have had to do more SLAMs. If you are going to claim that our methods don't work, and call them a waste of time, you should expect that we will call you out on that misinformation or any other. We have helped clear thousand of pools on this forum, and our methods do work if you follow them properly.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: SLAM Doesn't work

Thank you Patrick.
    Just trying to express my experience with the slam method.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    We never recommend anything with copper in it and xtra blue shock is dichlor + clarifier + copper so by using this you are adding CYA, metals and who knows what from the clarifier...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...b7a35ebd17.pdf page 2 has the data..
    What's wrong with copper?
    I've had metals tested in my pool, and it's at or near 0. My CYA is also in the perfect range as instructed by the SWCG instructions.

7. Back To Top    #7

No problem,

I'm just trying to explain to anyone else reading that it, and the methods we teach do work. The Copper Casey mentions is bad because it will eventually lead to staining of your pool. It can also stain Blonde/light colored hair Green. Not a good thing.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Assuming your signature is correct then you do not have a TF-100 or K-2006 and thus no FAS-DPD test. Is that correct?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

mgarf33 I have no doubt that the xtra blue worded and your pool is clear. I did notice that you are only using a basic 5 chemical test kit, which would not allow you to properly test CYA and free chlorine. This year I did a little experiment and tried maintaining my free chlorine level with a basic DPD color test only. Long story short it was not accurate enough and I ended up fighting a slight algae bloom that I only notice due to increased chlorine use. I went back to to my DPD powder test slammed and all has been well ever since. This was also the 1st bloom I ever had in the more than 2 years I've been using the BBB method since buying my house and it was a direct result of inaccurate testing.
    26K Gallon, IG vinyl
    1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, DE Filter 36 SqFt
    Older than time TELEDYNE LAARS HEATER (removed from system for now)

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Assuming your signature is correct then you do not have a TF-100 or K-2006 and thus no FAS-DPD test. Is that correct?
    Which, If true, would make it impossible to begin or complete a SLAM procedure.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Thank you Patrick.
    Just trying to express my experience with the slam method.

- - - Updated - - -

What's wrong with copper?
    I've had metals tested in my pool, and it's at or near 0. My CYA is also in the perfect range as instructed by the SWCG instructions.
    We are not trying to scare you, we just like to teach and make sure you know what you are adding into your pool... Copper does add metals and could eventually give you metal stains and hair color change. I think if you were to take a water sample to 4 differant pool stores and test for metals you would get 4 differant amounts of metals for your pool..

How are you testing for CYA? does the basic 5 chem test have CYA in it?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Correct, I test my pool with fresh 5 chem kit weekly. There is truth in repetition, and I've not altered my testing procedure from last year to this year.

I have it tested by 3 pool stores, one uses a digital analyzer, the other two use chemical test kits.
    I found there are some guys that take their time testing, and others that will have any kid perform the test. I go directly to the experience staff members.

Again, I'm not adding this Xtra Blue shock treatment continuously. I've used 3 one pound bags last year, and 3 one pound bags on opening this year. That's it. I've had absolutely no issues with algae this year, and we've had a lot of rain, and leaves fall into the pool.
    My kids all have light hair, one is bleach blonde, and no green hair has been detected, no staining in my pool.

I'm sure the slam method works for many of you, and I'm not trying to argue that point, but from what I've read in many posts, quite a few people have trouble keeping up with the work it takes to perform it. Again, I ask why do so much work, and miss out on potentially a week or more worth of pool time?

There is no argument here, if I experience algae again, I will dump two bags of Xtra Blue in and be done with it. I won't be spending a week shocking, testing and cleaning my pool.
    If for some reason in the future it doesn't work, I'm not too proud to let everyone know I was wrong.

13. Back To Top    #13

The goal, here, is education.

If you used "Xtra blue pool shock" or anything else and it worked, good for you!

Better, though, is consistency and understanding the processes and concepts behind the stuff you dump into your pool. One cannot properly manage a pool without accurate knowledge of the condition of the pool.

It sounds like you don't have a test kit capable of monitoring some of the parameters you must know to successfully accomplish what you are going to hear in this forum. If that is the case, no wonder you feel frustrated.

14. Back To Top    #14

We are not trying to scare you, we just like to teach and make sure you know what you are adding into your pool... Copper does add metals and could eventually give you metal stains and hair color change. I think if you were to take a water sample to 4 differant pool stores and test for metals you would get 4 differant amounts of metals for your pool..

How are you testing for CYA? does the basic 5 chem test have CYA in it?
    Casey, I appreciate your comments as I do all members of this forum. However the comments on the inaccuracy of "pool store testing" is just as true if you had 5 members of this forum test with their kits.
    I will keep an eye on the metal, and cya levels as you've suggested, and again, I appreciate all the understanding I can get. I have much more experience with electro-mechanical equipment than I do with water testing.

15. Back To Top    #15

If that works for you then great. It really is ok, because we aren't here to change your mind, and your pool is your business. Just don't say SLAM doesn't work because you have not done one with that kit. SLAM is a precise procedure, and without a FAS/DPD Free Chlorine kit, you cannot perform one. It's the mis-information I am arguing. You never did a SLAM, so really it's now a moot point.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

There is nothing "wrong" with what you are doing and it works for you.. We just want you to know what you are adding and what is happening to your pool water.. copper does not evaperate and every time you use this shock treatment you are adding to the copper already there, eventually it will start staining at some point.. As long as you know that will happen and you accept that risk, everything is fine..

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    The goal, here, is education.

If you used "Xtra blue pool shock" or anything else and it worked, good for you!

Better, though, is consistency and understanding the processes and concepts behind the stuff you dump into your pool. One cannot properly manage a pool without accurate knowledge of the condition of the pool.

It sounds like you don't have a test kit capable of monitoring some of the parameters you must know to successfully accomplish what you are going to hear in this forum. If that is the case, no wonder you feel frustrated.
    That's exactly my point. I am no longer frustrated. My pool is crystal clear with very little effort, isn't that the goal?

18. Back To Top    #18

Casey, I appreciate your comments as I do all members of this forum. However the comments on the inaccuracy of "pool store testing" is just as true if you had 5 members of this forum test with their kits.
    Not true at all. We find over, and over that Pool stores everywhere in the country are terribly inaccurate with great consistency. Not all, but by far the vast majority.

- - - Updated - - -

That's exactly my point. I am no longer frustrated. My pool is crystal clear with very little effort, isn't that the goal?
    Not really, because now you have no idea what you are really raising your FC levels too at all. You could be adding enough that in time you damage the liner in your pool, and or you are swimming in unacceptable high levels of free chlorine. Neither of those will happen with proper control and testing. Which is one of our tenants.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

19. Back To Top    #19

There is nothing "wrong" with what you are doing and it works for you.. We just want you to know what you are adding and what is happening to your pool water.. copper does not evaperate and every time you use this shock treatment you are adding to the copper already there, eventually it will start staining at some point.. As long as you know that will happen and you accept that risk, everything is fine..
    Very acceptable point. It will compound over time, so monitoring is important. I do drain my pool a significant portion for closing though.
    Again, I would never tell anyone how it should be done, just my experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Not true at all. We find over, and over that Pool stores everywhere in the country are terribly inaccurate with great consistency. Not all, but by far the vast majority.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really, because now you have no idea what you are really raising your FC levels too at all. You could be adding enough that in time you damage the liner in your pool, and or you are swimming in unacceptable high levels of free chlorine. Neither of those will happen with proper control and testing. Which is one of our tenants.
    Point taken. I will order a kit to test for FC.

Boy, you folks on this site are tenacious when it comes to defending the SLAM method.
    I hope nobody takes my comments as being arrogant, as reading text doesn't portray emotion.

20. Back To Top    #20

Very acceptable point. It will compound over time, so monitoring is important. I do drain my pool a significant portion for closing though.
    Again, I would never tell anyone how it should be done, just my experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Point taken. I will order a kit to test for FC.

Boy, you folks on this site are tenacious when it comes to defending the SLAM method.
    I hope nobody takes my comments as being arrogant, as reading text doesn't portray emotion.
    Good for you!

We are because we know our methods work. As much as it may seem I am just trying to win the argument, I genuinely do not want your pool damaged or have your family swimming in an over-chlorinated pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast