Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slam + mustard algae clarification

1. Back To Top    #1

Charlottesville, VA

Slam + mustard algae clarification

I am in day four of SLAM for cloudy water and MA. I just noticed more MA growing than I have seen on days 1-3. There is also more gray powdery residue so I do think I am making some progress.

At a 50 CYA, I have aimed for 20 ppm FC with the understanding that once the pool passes three SLAM criteria, I then increase to 29 for 24 hours and then let drift to maintenance levels. Am I correct? Any advantage to jump up to 29 sooner?

2015 installation, 18,000 gal. fiberglass, Coverstar Auto cover, 300 lb SandMaster filter, 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, AquaRite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Slam + mustard algae clarification

It doesn't hurt to shoot for slightly above 20 at this stage but up to 29 now won't make much difference. Going slightly above target means that your more likely to still be near the 20 ppm mark more often.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3
    Western Chicago Area, IL

Re: Slam + mustard algae clarification

No real advantage. Just do your best to keep FC above the minimum regular shock levels until you pass the three criteria then go to MA levels for 24 hours. Brushing your pool will provide the most benefit at defeating the algae, more so than raising the FC level.

Good luck.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100