Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A bare spot in my Stonescape

1. Back To Top    #1

A bare spot in my Stonescape

I have a brand new pool, just finished earlier this month.

After my pool was filled I noticed a spot about the size of the palm of my hand (on the floor in the deep end of the pool) that is significantly lighter in color than the rest of the pool. The plaster crew started filling my pool immediately after acid washing the Stonescape surface, so I didn't notice this place until it was under several feet of water. If I dive down I can see that the aggregate is not nearly as dense in this spot as the surrounding area.

Depending on time of day and lighting, the spot is either barely visible or very obvious.

My question are these:

Is this strictly a cosmetic issue or will this affect the durability/integrity of the plaster? Part of the reason that we spent the extra money on the Stonescape is because we were told that it will extend the plaster life significantly.

and

What can be done to fix this? Is this a repair that will entail draining the pool?

We have mentioned the issue to our contractor and they hemmed and hawed about whether there is anything to be done about it. I think that they are hoping that we will forget about this and go away. I'd like to get informed about how concerned I should be about this before contacting them again.
    Brand new pool owner -- first day of swimming July 4, 2015! 22,000 gallon custom (14 x 40 rectangle) gunite in-ground pool with Stonescape plaster (Irish Mist). Hayward Pro Series sand filter (S244T2), Hayward TriStar pump (SP3207X10), Hayward Goldline Turbo Cell T-Cell-15 SWCG with Pro Logic control panel. Taylor K2006-C test kit. Mom to three boys, eight rescue parrots, and two dogs.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A bare spot in my Stonescape

Welcome to TFP!!!

Can we get a picture? Does it look like the plaster is thinner in this area?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is a photo. This is looking down at the floor of my pool through about 6 feet of water. The light spot is about 4-5 inches in diameter. If I dive down I can see that this spot is almost completely bare of the pebbles that make up the rest of the surface -- it just looks like smooth tinted plaster.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brand new pool owner -- first day of swimming July 4, 2015! 22,000 gallon custom (14 x 40 rectangle) gunite in-ground pool with Stonescape plaster (Irish Mist). Hayward Pro Series sand filter (S244T2), Hayward TriStar pump (SP3207X10), Hayward Goldline Turbo Cell T-Cell-15 SWCG with Pro Logic control panel. Taylor K2006-C test kit. Mom to three boys, eight rescue parrots, and two dogs.

4. Back To Top    #4

my best guess, and its only a guess, is that there was a fairly heavy concentration of muriatic acid which pooled there for too long when your plaster was acid washed.

Acid will dissolve plaster, which is what holds the pebbles in place. So the absence of pebbles along with discoloration there is what makes me think this.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

I think it is more likely that it is a spot with more plaster, not less. When they acid wash they remove plaster to expose the aggregate and this spot probably had less plaster removed to expose less aggregate. We have some places like that. It is strictly cosmetic. They can pour acid through a tube to that spot and brush it to expose more aggregate if you want.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I think it is more likely that it is a spot with more plaster, not less. When they acid wash they remove plaster to expose the aggregate and this spot probably had less plaster removed to expose less aggregate. We have some places like that. It is strictly cosmetic. They can pour acid through a tube to that spot and brush it to expose more aggregate if you want.
    I completely agree with this comment. I would add that, over time, I would expect the excess plaster to go away all by itself. Frankly, that surface looks very good to me.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, thank you for the helpful comments! I feel reassured now.