Stinging eyes, already read all the threads on the subject...

Sep 26, 2014
Chelmsford, MA
My wife and kids complained yesterday that their eyes are stinging... the recent change are the pool store finally got our solar cover in stock and we have been using it, and we have been at a salt level of (according to the strips) 1970 (the autopilot in the start of the season asked for 68lbs of salt..we did that to get to the above level, it has been running without complaint but I felt I wanted to add a bit so I put in 50lbs the middle of last week)

I did a full test last night:

PH 7.5
FC 4.5
CC .5
TC 5
TA 90
CYA 80
Borates more than 0, less than 15
Salt 5.6 on the AquaChek strip, which is 2310, the Autopilot was happy at 1970....

Reading all the threads it seems the issues, or solutions I have already done...

I did ask if the kids were wearing sunscreen on their faces, and the day before they were but yesterday they did not.

I went for a swim last night, and purposefully swam a bit with my eyes open underwater to see if I had issues, I had none.

I'm stumped, help?

Thanks!

Rich

Hi Kim, thanks for trying to help :)

That thread the "solution" suggested was to put salt in the water, we already have that :) Maybe you meant to link to another thread, that one doesn't really mention keeping the PH at anything apart from 7.5 :)

Rich

I got off track, sorry LOL I forgot all about the PH when I saw the stuff about the salt.

I am thinking the amount of salt? could be the problem?

Do a search for "stinging eyes" on the TFP home page and see what you find. There are several posts about it.

kim

I have trouble reading PH above 7.5, somewhere up there my daughters start complaining about stinging eyes so then I'll bring PH back down to around 7.2 and they no longer complain.

Hi I am new on this forum but read your post with interest. 7.5 does not seem to be overly high for ph. One question, how long after you took your cover off did everyone use the pool. I only ask as there may be a small collection of chlorine gas on or around the surface of the pool. I had this problem with a certain SWG pool and after suggesting not to use the pool for at least 30mins after the cover was open, the problem of stinging eyes seemed to disappear.
Just a thought.

They probably went right in after the cover was removed...and were probably in there for a few hours, I'll suggest waiting a bit. I had read another thread about sunscreen or sweat potentially being the culprit, but the second time it happened they didn't put on sunscreen before swimming.

My guess is slightly elevated CC due to the cover being on.

Also, I think there will always be some eye irritation if you are in the pool for a long time and often have your eyes open underwater.

I find that using goggles can sometimes make it worse. I think the chlorine in the little water inside the goggles reacts with your skin to form CC which are then trapped around your eyes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.