Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stinging eyes, already read all the threads on the subject...

1. Back To Top    #1

Stinging eyes, already read all the threads on the subject...

My wife and kids complained yesterday that their eyes are stinging... the recent change are the pool store finally got our solar cover in stock and we have been using it, and we have been at a salt level of (according to the strips) 1970 (the autopilot in the start of the season asked for 68lbs of salt..we did that to get to the above level, it has been running without complaint but I felt I wanted to add a bit so I put in 50lbs the middle of last week)

I did a full test last night:

PH 7.5
    FC 4.5
    CC .5
    TC 5
    TA 90
    CYA 80
    Borates more than 0, less than 15
    Salt 5.6 on the AquaChek strip, which is 2310, the Autopilot was happy at 1970....

Reading all the threads it seems the issues, or solutions I have already done...

I did ask if the kids were wearing sunscreen on their faces, and the day before they were but yesterday they did not.

I went for a swim last night, and purposefully swam a bit with my eyes open underwater to see if I had issues, I had none.

I'm stumped, help?

Thanks!

Rich
    21,600 Gallon IG vinyl L shaped Pool
    Hayward DE3620 Pro-Grid DE Filter, Hayward 1HP super pump, AutoPilot SWG, 350,000BTU Hayward Heater
    TF-100 Test kit with options (salt strips, Borates, mixer)
    9/30/14 Dig Began....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stinging eyes, already read all the threads on the subject...

Hummmmmmmmm thinking out loud here..............I seem to remember another poster that said the same thing. They put the PH up or down (man I wish I could remember) and that solved the problem.

Burning/Stinging eyes

Click on the link in that post. That should help you!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Kim, thanks for trying to help

That thread the "solution" suggested was to put salt in the water, we already have that Maybe you meant to link to another thread, that one doesn't really mention keeping the PH at anything apart from 7.5

Rich
    Hayward DE3620 Pro-Grid DE Filter, Hayward 1HP super pump, AutoPilot SWG, 350,000BTU Hayward Heater
    9/30/14 Dig Began....

4. Back To Top    #4

I got off track, sorry LOL I forgot all about the PH when I saw the stuff about the salt.

I am thinking the amount of salt? could be the problem?

Do a search for "stinging eyes" on the TFP home page and see what you find. There are several posts about it.

kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I have trouble reading PH above 7.5, somewhere up there my daughters start complaining about stinging eyes so then I'll bring PH back down to around 7.2 and they no longer complain.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hi I am new on this forum but read your post with interest. 7.5 does not seem to be overly high for ph. One question, how long after you took your cover off did everyone use the pool. I only ask as there may be a small collection of chlorine gas on or around the surface of the pool. I had this problem with a certain SWG pool and after suggesting not to use the pool for at least 30mins after the cover was open, the problem of stinging eyes seemed to disappear.
    Just a thought.

7. Back To Top    #7

My PH IS 7.4. Granddaughter and I both had stinging eyes today but sunscreen was the culprit. I could barely see all day. Won't make that mistake again!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

8. Back To Top    #8

They probably went right in after the cover was removed...and were probably in there for a few hours, I'll suggest waiting a bit. I had read another thread about sunscreen or sweat potentially being the culprit, but the second time it happened they didn't put on sunscreen before swimming.
    9/30/14 Dig Began....

9. Back To Top    #9

Are you leaving the cover on during the day? You have higher than normal CC which is normally burned off by the UV rays of the sun.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

My guess is slightly elevated CC due to the cover being on.

Also, I think there will always be some eye irritation if you are in the pool for a long time and often have your eyes open underwater.

I find that using goggles can sometimes make it worse. I think the chlorine in the little water inside the goggles reacts with your skin to form CC which are then trapped around your eyes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Interesting, my kids swap on and off the goggles constantly, they don't do a lot without them, I wonder if trapping the water inside makes it worse

Rich
    9/30/14 Dig Began....