Cloudy Greenish Pool 0 chlorine

Jul 23, 2015
Smithtown, NY
For 3 weeks I am trying everything. I double shocked the pool and it got clear for a day. then back to cloudy greenish. I added conditioner and nada. used some algae kill stuff... nothing. Feel like I am fighting a losing battle. Think I may go get bleach today but not sure how much. help!

Well "WW", we can certainly help. We just need to get you back to basics and forget any bad habits you may have leared at the pool store. :) So here are your instructions:
1 - You must obtain one of the recommended test kits from TFTestkits.net. That is absolutely #1, Do not rely on test strips or pool store testing, they will let you down,
2 - Your water is cloudy/green because it does not have the proper chlorine (FC) level based on your current "CYA" (stabilizer/conditioner) level.
Definitely do not put anything else in your water other than regular liquid bleach (generic is fine).
You will need to (SLAM) Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain, not a one-time shock that most people think of. But to do this you MUST have a good test kit from that link above. I have the TF-100 (w/ speed stir) and it's AWESOME!

For now, just put about 1 gallon of bleach in your pool each evening. It won't resolve everything, but hopefully will keep it "at-bay" until your kit arrives. I hope this helps gets you going. In the meantime, also consider reviewing these pages:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

We'll help get you all fixed-up. Have a great day!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh .. and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Welcome. Do yourself a favor and order one of our recommended test kits as your first step. It is essential in taking control of your pool and testing FC levels high enough to maintain our SLAM process as outlined in Pool School. Read up on the SLAM process and see the chlorine/cya chart there. Post us up your first REAL test results so we can help.

WW, Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You will also find that armed with a good kit, you will get endless assistance from the good folks here.

Once you can post good numbers up, we can really get you good advice and start you on your way to a crystal clear pool.

Thank you all so much!!! WOW! So kind.

So this is what I did. Logged off and added 2gal of 6.5%bleach daily in the eve. I didn't see the poolmath calculator. so I was winging it. I got lucky as it def helped to clear up the cloudy.
I then took apart my filters and cleaned till the water ran clear. Got my kit yesterday. So I just finished the daily and weekly tests.

Hope I don't screw this up.... here goes...
FC 20ppm
CC 4
TC24
CH 400PPM
TA 120
CYA 80
SW 3200

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are not going to classify as good or bad. Instead, we are going to ask you to perform an OCLT. Here is a link explaining how Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) Post your test results in the morning. No need to worry. You can do this and it will be less intimidating very soon!

Hello again WW. :) Glad you have your test kit now. Awesome! So, what should you look forward to doing:
- Bring your FC up to 31 during your SLAM Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain don't let it drop until you pass all 3 criteria:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5

Testing your FC during the SLAM is most important. Remember, continue to run your pump 24/7 during a SLAM. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed.

After the SLAM, that's when you'll let the FC come back down and check your PH level (7.2-7.8). Not now though. The high FC messes-up that test. :)

I should do both of these?
We are not going to classify as good or bad. Instead, we are going to ask you to perform an OCLT. Here is a link explaining how Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) Post your test results in the morning. No need to worry. You can do this and it will be less intimidating very soon!
Hello again WW. :smile: Glad you have your test kit now. Awesome! So, what should you look forward to doing:
- Bring your FC up to 31 during your SLAM Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain don't let it drop until you pass all 3 criteria:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5

Testing your FC during the SLAM is most important. Remember, continue to run your pump 24/7 during a SLAM. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed.

After the SLAM, that's when you'll let the FC come back down and check your PH level (7.2-7.8). Not now though. The high FC messes-up that test. :smile:

WW. I re read the post and wasn't sure what state your water currently is in. Is it clear or cloudy and/or green? If it is clear, I would perform the OCLT; if it is cloudy and/or green, proceed with the SLAM. Sorry and I hope this isn't confusing.

Okay, not bad. Not green, just seems to be a little cloudy from the pic of the drain huh? Whenever it's cloudy, SLAM! You have some particulates in there that need to be neutralized. Raise that FC to your SLAM level and kill that algae while it's early. Hopefully you will finish much sooner than expected, pass your OCLT, and can go back to normal business. If you have any more questions, please let us know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.