Woo Hoo-am I really done with this slam?!?

Jun 11, 2015
O'Fallon, MO
OK, peeps, overnight chlorine loss was 1.0. Should I slam the rest of today? The pool is clear, CC is 0, but there is some sediment at the bottom. I'm going to scrub, filter a while, & backwash again in about an hour-have to run daughter to camp first. What say you-am I done?????? If so, then do I just test daily to maintain chlorine? What level? Thanks!!!!! So hopeful...

what level was your FC when you measured a drop of 1ppm? personally I ran my SLAM until I had 0.5ppm loss and confirmed for two consecutive nights. if you have sediment on the bottom you need to get that out. that's part of the pool being clear criteria, no remains of algae (dead or alive). keep brushing/vacuuming and get it out.

how clear is the pool? can you read a quarter heads/tails in the deep end?

what level is your CYA? see the link in my signature. once you are done with the SLAM, you let your FC drift down to the "target" level and never let it get below the minimum level based your CYA level.

once your FC drops below 10ppm, you need to check your pH and adjust. I would run a full set of new numbers and post them. time for any tweaks that may be needed. the main things you will be adjusting go forward is just FC and pH

Thanks, I figured as such, but wanted to make sure. My FC was 12 last night & 11 this morning. Yes, pool is crystal clear to see a quarter. But, I'm going to keep slamming & remove the debris. I did remove pool ladder & saw algae on it. I still need to scrub in down before anymore swimming. Thanks for the advice. I haven't run the CYA b/c it only completely dissolved a week ago today. An earlier poster said to run it this weekend. I figured I might do a complete test tomorrow as I'm having my family over Saturday to swim so that would give me some time to adjust things. Does that sound like a plan?

Thanks, I figured as such, but wanted to make sure. My FC was 12 last night & 11 this morning. Yes, pool is crystal clear to see a quarter. But, I'm going to keep slamming & remove the debris. I did remove pool ladder & saw algae on it. I still need to scrub in down before anymore swimming. Thanks for the advice. I haven't run the CYA b/c it only completely dissolved a week ago today. An earlier poster said to run it this weekend. I figured I might do a complete test tomorrow as I'm having my family over Saturday to swim so that would give me some time to adjust things. Does that sound like a plan?

Yes. Do your OCLT one more time, then you can be sure. Once you get your CYA reading, use this chart http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
to find your target and minimum FC level. Then go an enjoy your pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.