Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blue DE

1. Back To Top    #1

Saint Marys

Blue DE

Just cleaned my DE filter and was surprised to see the DE was blue in color . Wondering if this is something to be concerned about or a sign of a issue? I have used some black algae treatment this summer which was a deep blue in color .But would be surprised this would have turned the DE this color. Any thoughts?
    Installed 1988. inground vinyl liner. 16x32 with deep end and side steps. hard bottom and concrete sides .DE Hayward EC65 filter. Laars Lite 2 LG Heater.1.5 Hayward pump. -run 12hrs/day. Pool on chlorine with bleach as the source as had chlorine block in past.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Blue DE

Sounds like a logical choice for the cause. Do you know if this treatment contained Copper? Merely curious, and notifying that's the reason, but wondering. I may have missed it here, but I can't say I recall hearing about Blue DE before.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

Chickasha, OK

Re: Blue DE

You probably used something like Algae Kill II, which is a deep blue -- looks like food coloring -- and contains lots and lots of copper.
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite single-speed 1.5 HP pump; Raypak RP 2100 natural gas heater (not in use).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain