Permanently connecting backwash to sewer line?

trbvm

Jun 8, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
In our city, we are allowed to backwash pool water to the sewer clean-out line (NOT the storm water, but the sewer). In our build, I have the backwash pipe (2.5") running all the way to the front of the house and it ends right next to the sewer clean-out. When I do a DE backwash, I was planning on putting in a 2 ft blue hose - connect one end to the backwash pipe and other end to sewer clean-out.

Question:
Can I "permanently" hook the backwash line to the sewer clean-out? I have plumbed in a backwash sight-glass near the pump. So, I can easily see the backwash water clarity and turn off the pump (don't have to be near the discharge end).
If I permanently connect backwash line to sewer clean-out, is there a way to prevent the sewer 'smells' from coming into the backwash pipe?

To summarize, has anyone permanently connected backwash to sewer clean-out?

You'd have to install a trap and most likely there are some rules about connecting fresh water sources to the sewer. The JHA may require a backflow preventer if you want to hook it up permanently. You certainly wouldn't want a sewer backup to wind up in your pool plumbing.

I would ask your water/sewer provider. Like Bama said, there are probably requirements you must meet in order to do that. Also, you would have to hook it up in a way that wouldn't interfere with the cleanout. The cleanout is there for a reason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.