Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Permanently connecting backwash to sewer line?

1. Back To Top    #1

Phoenix, AZ

Permanently connecting backwash to sewer line?

In our city, we are allowed to backwash pool water to the sewer clean-out line (NOT the storm water, but the sewer). In our build, I have the backwash pipe (2.5") running all the way to the front of the house and it ends right next to the sewer clean-out. When I do a DE backwash, I was planning on putting in a 2 ft blue hose - connect one end to the backwash pipe and other end to sewer clean-out.

Can I "permanently" hook the backwash line to the sewer clean-out? I have plumbed in a backwash sight-glass near the pump. So, I can easily see the backwash water clarity and turn off the pump (don't have to be near the discharge end).
    If I permanently connect backwash line to sewer clean-out, is there a way to prevent the sewer 'smells' from coming into the backwash pipe?

To summarize, has anyone permanently connected backwash to sewer clean-out?
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Permanently connecting backwash to sewer line?

You'd have to install a trap and most likely there are some rules about connecting fresh water sources to the sewer. The JHA may require a backflow preventer if you want to hook it up permanently. You certainly wouldn't want a sewer backup to wind up in your pool plumbing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Charlotte NC

Re: Permanently connecting backwash to sewer line?

I would ask your water/sewer provider. Like Bama said, there are probably requirements you must meet in order to do that. Also, you would have to hook it up in a way that wouldn't interfere with the cleanout. The cleanout is there for a reason.
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.