Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater issue

Hi all. Just started on this forum. I have an issue with my Pentair 400 heater. I'm getting a service heater error. I troubleshot thru the manual and opened the side panels and saw that I have a HLS error light on. The blower does not turn on so nothing does. Manual says to replace the HLS. I called several local pool places and they all said something different from heater having two sensors and the other pool place saying there is a sensor and a high limit safety switch. So I'm confused as to what exactly HLS means.... High limit sensor or High limit safety switch haha. I turned the temp down below the current water temp and the service heater light went off but obviously didn't turn heater on because my pool water is already at 82 degrees. So what are your suggestions as to what is going on? Thank you in advance.
    -Tony
    Built 2012
    22x38 freeform IG pool/spa/25k gal/pebble-tec/grotto/slide/2x 2hp pumps/1x1.5hp pump/Pentair 400k MasterTemp heater/Pentair 60 filter/IC 40 SWCG/Pentair Easy Touch 4 system/3 Pentair Color LED Lights

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater issue

Any suggestions?
    Built 2012
    22x38 freeform IG pool/spa/25k gal/pebble-tec/grotto/slide/2x 2hp pumps/1x1.5hp pump/Pentair 400k MasterTemp heater/Pentair 60 filter/IC 40 SWCG/Pentair Easy Touch 4 system/3 Pentair Color LED Lights

3. Back To Top    #3

I suspect it's the high limit cutout which is easy to test if you have a multimeter. Just turn the breaker(s) off and unplug the wires from the cutout and see if there's continuity across it. If you don't have a multimeter, or aren't comfortable testing it, just remove it and I bet someone can test it for you. It may even be worth just replacing it. They're relatively cheap.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Mastertemp 300 and had the HLS error ....turned out that the issue was that these heaters tend to get their thermo couplers correded and they get stuck. Replaced it and works like a champ....see my posting on it if it helps ...Pool / Spa Heater Seems to cycle Hot and Cold Water
    25K inground gunite with raised spa. Full Pentair products - Mastertemp 300 Gas Heater , IntelliBrite 5G Pool Lights (2), 1X Spa LED Light, VS Intelliflo Pump, Intellichlor SWG, 2 waterfalls and bubblers w/ seperate pump, sunshelf

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! I will give it a shot when I get home. I do have a multi meter so I will test it. Where is the thermo coupler located so I can see if it is corroded as well?
    Built 2012

6. Back To Top    #6

On the back. Actually thermo regulator. Down low. Looks like a 2 inch black circle that screws out. Need to put a screwdriver blade on it to gain leverage to screw it off. If it looks rusty it is bad. Won't allow the spring to move when it gets hot/cold and it makes the heater shut off. Do you still have a warranty?

25K inground gunite with raised spa. Full Pentair products - Mastertemp 300 Gas Heater , IntelliBrite 5G Pool Lights (2), 1X Spa LED Light, VS Intelliflo Pump, Intellichlor SWG, 2 waterfalls and bubblers w/ seperate pump, sunshelf