Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Restarting"---here's my numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

"Restarting"---here's my numbers

Hi all,
    I posted in the "getting started" forum the other day that it's been a while since I've been on here, but I'm back and ready to reclaim our pool. Our SWG has given up the ghost, so the pool guy we had was using tabs and probably some liquid chlorine. We're taking back the maintenance though.
    I ordered a refill test kit and all my components came today, so here's what I've got:

CL < .5
    pH 7.8
    TA 130
    CH 230
    CYA 55

I know those numbers are all a little off. But what do i fix first???????
    Sunny SW Florida! Uncaged Free-form IG pool, Pebble-tec finish, 20,000 gallons?? (Beach entry/tanning ledge is 9' x 9'; it's free form 37' x 19'. Depth 3 feet to max 5.5 feet. There's also an attached spa with spillover: 6 foot radius. Anything else?)
    Prologic computerized thingie with SWG; 1.5 hp Hayward II Super pump, cartridge (i think) filter. (Hubby contracted the whole thing...so I don't have a detailed list on what we've got!)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: "Restarting"---here's my numbers

You can use PoolMath to determine chemical additions. You put your volume in PoolMath at the top, then all your current readings in the first column and your target numbers in the second. It will tell you how much of what you need to add to reach that goal.

First thing you need is some chlorine. Regular bleach (8.25%) or "liquid shock" chlorinating liquid (10% or 12%) to bring the level up to at least 6 or 7.
    Spend some time studying Pool School and you'll become a pro at this. You should also consider fixing or replacing the SWG.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

You should raise your FC level up to correlate with your CYA level using this chart--> Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

So for a non-swg pool, you need at *least* 5ppm FC, 7ppm would be better, and 9 might cover your loss until the next time you test. You never want to go below 5 or you're inviting algae in the door.

How's your water look?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you gives us a CC level? As above, what does your water look like? Other than your FC and CH, your levels look pretty good!
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess I didnt post my numbers well...by both tests (the yellow liquid in the block tester AND the DPD Powder) show a less than 1. So virtually no chlorine.
    Amazingly, my water looks clear....and we've had a lot of rain and it's Hot!!!
    I'll head to pool school and see what I need to add to bring it up.
    Thank you!

Sunny SW Florida! Uncaged Free-form IG pool, Pebble-tec finish, 20,000 gallons?? (Beach entry/tanning ledge is 9' x 9'; it's free form 37' x 19'. Depth 3 feet to max 5.5 feet. There's also an attached spa with spillover: 6 foot radius. Anything else?)
    Prologic computerized thingie with SWG; 1.5 hp Hayward II Super pump, cartridge (i think) filter. (Hubby contracted the whole thing...so I don't have a detailed list on what we've got!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by graffster View Post
    I guess I didnt post my numbers well...by both tests (the yellow liquid in the block tester AND the DPD Powder) show a less than 1. So virtually no chlorine.
    Amazingly, my water looks clear....and we've had a lot of rain and it's Hot!!!
    I'll head to pool school and see what I need to add to bring it up.
    Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You need to add liquid chlorine, STAT! Don't wait for the SWG to bring your FC level up, do it yourself now with regular household bleach if you've got it. Per my math that comes up to be almost two full gallons of 8.25% bleach, then you can let your SWG maintain it.

If you don't do it tonight you're seriously risking a major algae outbreak.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

+1 to sooner is better than later. FC should always be at target level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

FC up follow in 30 mins. with PH down.

Do an OCLT to see if you need to do a SLAM. Links below.

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Let us know how that goes.

Your TA will be last after everything else is balanced.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit