Need HELP!! TFP For life new member!

John Hirst

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
East Moline, Il. 61244
First of all I would like to say this is the best pool web site / forum out there, and I am now glad to be a part of it, and now a lifetime member. I bought a house on foreclosure with a pool that had trees and everything else growing out of it. (Pictures before and after to come). Ill keep it short. But I am a plumber by trade and deal with water and water balance for a living. Im not going to lie, the pool chemistry thing has got me stumped. I have spent hundreds of dollars at the pool chemical stores. I am done with it. I had a good friend of mine Zappafan, lead me in the right direction. I have had some good test results, but I seem to always have a issue with high Total Alkalinity and high PH. And it seems like over time, more things are getting out of balance. I have used over 35 pounds of PH reducer and at least 8 gallons of Muriatic Acid. Don't hold that against me, I was just going by what the pool store told me to do. I have a lot of money invested (as you all know being a pool owner) and just want to make things right and make my pool safe for my family and friends. Please see below my latest test results from my TF 100 Kit. And as always you guys are awesome and thanks in advance. If you have the time PLEASE HELP!

-FC 5
-CC of TC 1
-PH 8.2>
-TA 230
-CA 575
-CYA 20

You need to use PoolMath to determine chemical additions. That pH needs to come down. It should always be kept in the 7.x range. You put your volume in PoolMath at the top, then all your current readings in the first column and your target numbers in the second. It will tell you how much of what you need to add to reach that goal. Re the pH, you can start out with a full gallon of full strength (31%) MA. Once the pH is balanced, you need to bring the CYA level up. A 60-70 range is a good start with a SWG pool. If you don't have any CYA, look for it labeled as stabilizer. The TA will come down when you lower the pH. The CH is high but shouldn't be an issue in a vinyl lined pool.

Spend some time studying Pool School (upper right button in this page) and all this will begin to make sense. At least you are getting a much easier start than those who come here because they have a pool filled with black or green water and slime. Welcome to TFP.

Welcome

With fill water TA that high it's going to take time to bring it down and PH will rise until you get TA down to around 100. And anytime you top off you'll be putting TA back in. If you can top off with rain water that will help. When I drain down for the winter I try to let snow and rain refill the pool in the spring to try to keep TA in check. Using MA to knock PH down will slowly bring TA down, you can speed it along by taking PH to the low side and aerating the water to drive PH up quickly and repeat until things stabilize.Though my TA isn't as high as yours I know it's something I have to deal with and it doesn't bother me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.