Air in the Filter Basket and in the return

I am a new pool owner and have been getting air in the filter basket. I replaced the lid gasket and I am still having the same issue. I have checked the plastic drain plugs on the front and side of the the filter basket, they seem ok. I replaced the rubber washer and used that pool lubricant on the threads, and I hope this isn't a really stupid question but the drain plugs never really seat, they just seem to keep spinning when I tighten them, is that normal or a problem?
When the water is returned to the pool there are air bubbles in the return. It is not a constant stream but seems to alternate between clear and then air bubbles in a cycle.
My last question is sand in the pool a red flag or is that normal?
Thanks.

Welcome, and sounds like you have about 3 different issues there! Try a little teflon tape on those plug threads to help them "seat". Are you SURE your sand is coming back in from the filter?

Just wanted to add a quick note since I was also having a similar issue and couldn't pinpoint the point of vacuum loss until after weeks of looking. I found that my pump would not prime fully (and thus the air in the basket area) b/c of the diverter (valve) just before the pump intake. The reason it was hard to identify was b/c a few of the diverter handle/cover screws were stripped and when the pump wasn't fully primed yet the air wasn't getting sucked into the line...but when it got almost primed the pressure increased enough to suck the air in. The result was the same as you are seeing...air in the basket and moments of it escaping into the filter and ultimately into the pool return causing the bubbles. The interesting part is that I never had a leak showing on the diverter valve cover, just like you may not on the plug either if that is the cause. When not under pressure it seals enough to keep water from leaking, and when under pressure it is sucking air in and not letting water come out at the same time. I would suggest trying the teflon tape as woodyp indicates first since it is $2 fix if it works, if not then as duraleigh indicates if the threads in the plug hole are stripped (as mine where with the diverter cover) getting a new plug won't help I fear. Only adding sealant to it (to perm seal the plug in) or replace the pump head (ouch on $). In either case you want to get that pump fully priming or you will shorten the life of it and you won't get getting the max throughput/filtration through your system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.