Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner Update !

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner Update !

Well I did a lot of research when we first thought about fixing up our old pool. All my google searching led me to this place. I just wanted to say thanks for all the help I received. I have heard a lot of horror stories from people about pools costing big bucks for chemicals. From your recommendations, I started off the right way, with a good test kit, got my levels in check, and now my "Expensive" chemicals are basic bleach with a rough cost of a $1.50 a day.

Being I live in Ohio, I calculated our pool season at roughly 100 days, so this puts me at $150.00 a year on bleach, plus the muriatic acid here and there. For the convenience and joy of having a pool in my backyard, I think I can swing that.

Thanks for all the help.

By the way, I lucked out and found a stenner pump locally for $40.00, so that is my next endeavor!

First Forum
    Couple questions for the first time pool owner.

Here's a few pictures of the water quality.

36k gallon in ground, Hayward 30in sand filter, 2hp Hayward pump, in-line chlorinator. Vinyl from Ohio.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Pool Owner Update !

Wow! Very Nice Sparkle! Be careful, you may become a pool geek and get Poolsparklyitis.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Got the pump outlet hooked up tonight to the timer. Waiting on the injection valve and gotta buy a tank.
    36k gallon in ground, Hayward 30in sand filter, 2hp Hayward pump, in-line chlorinator. Vinyl from Ohio.

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks great! I love the dolphins!
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Dolphins actually have a personal meaning behind them. My sister was a lifeguard and loved dolphins, even swam with them once. She passed away 5 years ago from cancer, so we got the dolphin liner for her.

6. Back To Top    #6

Heavnt decided if I'm going to replumb everything this year or wait until next year when I put in the solar panels.

7. Back To Top    #7

Got the tank on order, will post pictures after I get everything hooked up tonight.

8. Back To Top    #8

Need to finish the plumbing work. I have it setup to pump about 3/4 gallons a day. Refill every 9-10 days.... Not bad.

9. Back To Top    #9

Nice work!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

A quick look at the injection port valve and a tee

11. Back To Top    #11

This looks like a great setup. If you're willing, would you post manufacturers and part numbers of the tank, pump and injection port valve/tee (and anything else needed to make an auto feeder). I did some searching on this type of thing before, but being new to the pool world, I lack some of the understanding of different equipment.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

12. Back To Top    #12

The pump I have is a stenner classic variable output high pressure. 85mph or something like that. I went with their brand of tank and high pressure injection valve. I got some of my parts locally of craigslist. Everything is available at Locke welland pump .Com though.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks!!
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Seems like it's working good so far. I let it run for an hour into a secondary container instead of injecting in the lines to get a good estimate on how much its producing a day

15. Back To Top    #15

Did you use the 1/4" or 3/8" injection port valve? I couldn't see it in your earlier plumbing photos (probably taken before it was in)- did you place the injection point near, or in place of, your auto chlorinator shown in the photo?
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

16. Back To Top    #16

I used the 1/4". It's based on the size of hose you use. The valve has two threads on it. I used the 1/2" thread to put it into the pvc t

17. Back To Top    #17

Right now the valve is in line with the puck chlorinator. I'm going to replumb everything next year. I bought some solar water panels so I am going to just redo everything next year after those are installed.

18. Back To Top    #18

These are the panels I bought off a guy on Craigslist. $150 for 12 panels wasn't too hateful.

19. Back To Top    #19

Got to love C-list! NOT hateful at all! Great buy!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit