Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slam + mustard algae + auto cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Charlottesville, VA

Slam + mustard algae + auto cover

Currently on day four of a SLAM for cloudy water and (what I suspect is) mustard algae.
    Making decent progress on the 3 criteria and hope that be ready for 24 hour MA SLAM soon.
    I know to run fountains and soak pool toys, etc. during MA slam but looking for advice as to how to ensure auto cover (solid vinyl Coverstar) doesn't harbor any algae. I have had the cover open continuously throughout SLAM and can imagine the rolled up, dark cover is a trouble spot for Algae.

Any tips?
    2015 installation, 18,000 gal. fiberglass, Coverstar Auto cover, 300 lb SandMaster filter, 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, AquaRite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slam + mustard algae + auto cover

Is the cover submerged? I wouldn't think so, but you shouldn't have Algae growing on it much if it isn't.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

Phoenix, AZ

Coverstar auto covers are always in contact with the water (bottom of the cover), by design... We are putting in the same and am interested in understanding how the cover affects any algae / organic elements...
    What if (hypothetically) the pool chemistry is good, but the cover keeps bringing back the bad stuff every time the cover is closed?
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

There are always algae spores getting blown into water. You just don't want the cover to have thicker mats of algae. Remember that algae need light to grow so if the cover is rolled up then most of it won't be growing algae. When the cover gets into contact with pool water again, chlorine will kill what is on the cover. Once a pool is well maintained, an automatic cover should not be a problem.

I have an electric automatic safety cover and if any junk gets into the pool its from the top side of the cover after it is rolled up (opened) and then rolled out again (closed) because the top and bottom of the cover touch each other when rolled up. So it's not algae so much as dirt or debris that get in. This is why it's a good idea to brush and remove larger debris from the cover. This also keeps the vault clean longer.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"