Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Underwater Light

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Underwater Light

I have 2 underwater lights about 10 years old, before LED's. Have changed the little thin tube halogen, same as work lights, just about every year. I think 500w each. This year, when I pulled one of them out, however, there was a little water inside, so I must have screwed up when I put the gasket in last time and it didn't seal perfectly. Needless to say, a new bulb didn't work. Where the cables are all sealed, is it hard to replace the entire sealed unit? Is it "worth" replacing the whole sealed unit with the same technology or better to change to LED? If so, "can" I change to LED without pulling a whole new cable from the panel (inside my shed) as I've seen described before, where fancy LED units that do a whole show of colors require a whole new cable be pulled.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Replacing Underwater Light

Depending on the light fixture, some the bulb is a standard threaded fixture (medium base) and they can be changed out easily. You could just get a new gasket and replace the bulb. Otherwise a new housing you'll have to disconnect the wiring, attache a line to the end of the wiring to pull the line through to pull the new wiring back through the conduit.
    Do you have any info on the light fixture make/model?
    This may help: How To: Replace a Pool Light Fixture - YouTube
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida