Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This little guy died in my pool today, do I need to add extra chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

This little guy died in my pool today, do I need to add extra chlorine?

Didn't know where to post this but thought since we deal with chemicals here, might not be a bad place to start, Mod please feel free to relocate if necessary. He wasn't in there long, tops a couple of hours. Should I toss in some extra bleach just to be careful?

My water sure is clear isn't it? I thought these little buggers could swim . . .

SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This little guy died in my pool today, do I need to add extra chlorine?

I found a dead rat in my pool (resting comfortably on the main drain) a couple weeks ago. He'd been there up to 24 hours...

I thought surely I'd see some CC or at least a drop in FC as a result, but my tests showed nothing other than the normal FC loss due to sunlight. I added the amount of bleach my tests called for, and all is well.
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

3. Back To Top    #3

If it hasn't been decomposing in full sun for days/weeks on end I would think it's ok as long your chlorine levels are good.

I get squirrels all the time, leaning over the coping to get a drink, some times even when I'm floating in the pool, makes me laugh.

this poor guy must have lost his balance.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm a germ a phobe, I'd add some extra bleach

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool looks great. Won't hurt anything to bump FC to 10. Probably don't need to but why not.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I would just test and see if your FC and CC is good. If it is, go on about doing whatever you were doing.

Poor lil dude. I know its gonna happen to me some day because i hve lots of squirrels in the yard. But when it does, Im gonna hate it.
    I like my squirrels and I even feed them now and then.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Just looked out the window and I've got four boys in my pool, too late . . . I'll post if anyone gets sick or starts storing nuts.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

8. Back To Top    #8

LOL!!!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by QingGuy View Post
    I thought these little buggers could swim . . .
    They can...but it takes a lot of energy. If they can't find their way out, they are just like us...and I haven't found any pool schools for squirrels to teach them to float. Poor guy was probably trying as hard as he could. RIP buddy.
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

10. Back To Top    #10

I came home to that scene once. I was so glad the kids were not here. I dumped chlorine, ran the pump 24/7 for a few days. I have gotten rid of that pool but will never tell the kids.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

11. Back To Top    #11

I wonder if a FrogLog would support a chipmunk/squirrel...

I'm tired of finding frogs in my skimmers, so I'm considering ordering 2 of them.
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain