Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dropping Chlorine Values

1. Back To Top    #1

Dropping Chlorine Values

All,

Ok I run a Liquidator no check valves (raised off the ground) on my AGP, Hayward pump and Sand filter. Water has been crystal clear since day 1, however I am loosing Chlorine in the pool very rapidly.

Here are my numbers from Sunday morning'

FC=0, CC=0, pH 8.4 (I run a spray wand to cool),CYA 80, TA 110.

I added liquid bleach 12.5% to bring my FC up to 6.

Tuesday I checked FC it was 4, I just checked the FC and its 1.

I know the liquidator is working as I see fluid movement, the meter shows the ball between 3 and 4, I have 6-8" yellow coloration in the bottom of the unit.

What am I missing or not understanding?

Pool gets direct sun from 8:30am till 5:30 pm, I run the pump from 8 pm to 8 am.

Thanks,
    John
    AquaMaster Deluxe 8000 AGP, 5500 gallons, 12x18. Liquidator and Pool Rover JR.
    1st Pool so go easy on me I'm using a TF 100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dropping Chlorine Values

Seems like you are on the verge of an algae bloom. That is the number 1 cause of high unexpected chlorine loss. What is you CYA?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Oops didn't see that you said you ran your pump for 12 hrs
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Your Cya is high, and adding for 6PPM FC won't be enough for 80. I betting you've been low for that Cya a lot recently, and you are likely on the verge of a bloom as poolDV says.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Oops, missed CYA is 80. Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Target FC for 80 is 9ppm. That means FC should be at 9 or higher at all times to keep your pool sanitized and algae free. And any time it drops below 6 algae will be growing and the pool will be unsanitary. Especially in hot sunny Houston
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

If I add bleach to get FC up to 9 the chemical smell is very strong.

Do I just ignore it?

Thanks all.

John

7. Back To Top    #7

Update,

I was starting to wonder if my bleach was still at 12.5%, so after doing a lot of reading and digging I found the test method.

Well what started at 12.5% is now 4%, so where I would add say a 64oz heck I needed to actually add a gallon.

Oh well, what should have been a cost savings by splitting a drum with another member might have actually cost me.

Live and learn, I am going now to buy some fresh bleach now and start monitoring it again.

I do have a question for those who buy in larger quantity, how do you store the bleach and have you had it gass off in less than 2 months!

Thanks,
    John

8. Back To Top    #8

Bleach needs to be stored inside in the A/C out of the sun. Laundry room, pantry, etc.

The smell you were smelling was CC, combined chlorine, that is your chlorine killing algae. For now, that is a good smell!
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Bleach needs to be stored inside in the A/C out of the sun. Laundry room, pantry, etc.

The smell you were smelling was CC, combined chlorine, that is your chlorine killing algae. For now, that is a good smell!
    So my garage is not the ideal location...

Thanks...

John