bought a house with a pool need help!!

Jul 22, 2015
Byron ga
Hi, I hope someone can help me out. I bought a house last week that has a inground liner pool. Has a aqua rite chlorine generator. Pool was clear but started turning green. I've never own a pool before so everything is new to me. Took a look at the system and the "no flow" light is on. By reading some coments on this awesome website I have ordered a flow switch hoping that will solve my problem and I can get it to generate chlorine again. I wanted to know if there is something I can do now to stop the pool from turning completely green or should I just wait till the switch arrives in 2 days and then go from there. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hello and welcome! Two things you really must do right away:
- Order either a Taylor K-2006 or TF-100 test kit from TFTestkits.net. The right test kit is #1.
- Augment your chlorine production with regular liquid bleach (generic is fine). If it's turning green then algae is already there and you will need to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain once you get your test kit.

Also take a couple minutes to read:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

When you add bleach, anywhere from 1/2 - one gallon per day depending upon the size of your pool, add it in the evening so it's not working too much against the sun. Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Once you get a test kit and can post some numbers, we can help you through the "SLAM". If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.