Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE entering pool

1. Back To Top    #1

DE entering pool

So I backwashed and recharged My filter with DE via the near skimmer yesterday. A couple of hours later, I drained the surface water to waste for a couple of minutes to lower CYA, and then switched the multiport back to the filter setting. As soon as I did that, I saw a puff of DE entering the pool through the return jets for a few seconds. Should I be concerned? I get a little DE in the pool after every recharge, but I usually vacuum it up and the problem goes away.

25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: DE entering pool

At this point. I would not be concerned. If that is the only time it happens, I've seen that many times. If it gets worse at all, however, I would definitely inspect the grids and manifold.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the input. Will plan to inspect the grids during the next backwash.

4. Back To Top    #4

Today I happened to inspect the pool right after the pump stopped running, and saw a fog of DE at the mouth of both skimmers and the main drain. For some reason when the pump stops, DE leaks back into the pool as if it is present in the lines leading to the pump. The pump is not losing prime. What could be the reason?