Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling bleach bottles with quikrete for weighing down steps - quick question

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling bleach bottles with quikrete for weighing down steps - quick question

I've filled some empty bleach bottles with quikrete (dry - did not mix) to use to weigh down my steps. They work well, though I do notice that I can hear some air escaping when I take them out, so now am worried about the finer powder escaping into the pool. I do know that some bleach bottles allow for venting for off gassing.

Should I seal/glue the caps shut?

Pour a bit of water in there to turn the dry quikrete into concrete?

Add some bleach to kill anything that may live in there?

Other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Paul
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling bleach bottles with quikrete for weighing down steps - quick question

I'd go ahead and mix the quickcrete. You don't want one of those bottles of mix busting open in the pool. Then you can top them with chlorinated water and pour the water off at the end of the season.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Filling bleach bottles with quikrete for weighing down steps - quick question

Any tips on how to easily fill the bottles with quikrete? I've been using a makeshift funnel folded out of cardboard, pouring in dry mix - which is tedious and messy - and then adding appropriate water as suggested by Zea to harden. It is slow and messy though.

Would be great if there was an easier way... anyone have thoughts?
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

4. Back To Top    #4

I use sand n water with bleach. It was hard n messy enough getting the sand in there. I'd never mess with Crete.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter