Oh no, the wall is bowed in! Repair and waterfall install {w/PICS}

On Tuesday, they finished installing the 6 sonotubes, which go down to floor level, and backfilled the side with gravel. Wednesday no action as the guy putting in the concrete forms had heat stroke, he's back today installing the forms. Friday is concrete pouring day, filling up the sonotubes and pouring the new collar around the pool.

Hi Kim, yes the tubes are filled with concrete. Their main purpose is as footings for the waterfall wall, but should provide some stability also. The contractor also mentioned inserting styrofoam somewhere along that side, which will act as a buffer to absorb pressure when the ground water freezes and expands in the winter. When i get home from work tonight the collar forms should be done, ready for concrete tomorrow.

btw he was feeling better today, also i left him water and soda on ice and a couple snacks

Poolnoob, just my thoughts but as for winterizing (post #20) you should not have to drain the pool below the returns to blow out the lines just to refill the pool. With a decent compressor you will have ample airflow to get enough water out to keep it from causing issues once temps drop. My little 2 gal pancake compressor blows the lines quite well.

Let's hope it was heat exhaustion and not heat stroke. Pool is looking good, can't wait to see the waterfall.

@Pool Tool, yes i can give that a try first to possibly save draining and refilling.

Thursday the concrete forms were set, the fence side is wider to accomodate the waterfall wall. The ground on that side was rock hard so he was having trouble getting the spikes in, so he attached it to the fence for additional stability.

Today was concrete collar pouring day, the crew of 4 arrived at 7:30, cement truck came at 8, they were done by 10am.

Monday is a Canadian holiday, so they will be back on Tuesday to reinstall the coping and flagstone.

Hi Kim, we havent swam much the last couple of weeks as there was lots of stones and dirt in the pool, and not home as much anyway due to summer activities. Luckily my in-laws have a pool also, so we could swim there. On Monday i gave it a good vacuum and we spent 3 hours in the pool. It's not as hot here this week so i dont think the guys will be jumping in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On Wednesday, they glued down the coping on the house side of the pool. When they went to re-lay the patio stones on the house side, the level wasnt matching up with the coping, so they lifted the patio stones and re-levelled and re-layed. Looks great! Finally part of the backyard is back to normal, so that's a good feeling. This is taking way longer than we expected. We think our main contractor is terrible at estimating completion times. Every week it's "should be done by next week". She said that yesterday again, although this time she's getting closer, as it is wall stone delivery day today!

The patio stones removed and being re-levelled.

A view from the fence side of the repaired patio.

And from the house side.

Thanks, ouachita. Thursday, the guys finished regluing the coping stones on the 2 sides, and mostly replaced the patio stones, just a couple to go. The truckload of stone for the wall was delivered, and they laid down a couple of rows to see how it looks. My wife sent me a picture of the 2 rows, i replied "Finally! But i thought it was going to be bigger." LOL

Hopefully more good progress today.

The nearly finished patio stones, with two rows of stones of the wall.

A closer look.

From the top view.

On Friday our sub installed and glued down 5 rows of stone. There will be another 7 rows, then the LED waterfalls are on the 13th row, then the top cap. The wall will be two stones deep, and on the higher rows he is going to add in some kind of mesh in places, which will keep the front layer attached to the back layer for stability.

Friday night we tidied up the mess in the yard a bit and put some chairs by the pool and swam each day since.

The first 5 rows installed. The stones look very realistic, like real natural stone even though they are man-made. There are 8 different bricks.

A close-up. And just look at that sparkly TFP-water!

I like the reflection off the water, should be even better when the wall is full height.

Okay so you say there are 5 different stones in that wall. They did an awesome job to making it look real. I have looked a few times to see if I could find a pattern or even spot "Oh there is stone 1 here and here, stone 2 is here and here" NOPE not able to! Good job!

I also like the reflection on the water. Just wait until it is done and the water fall is working! I can't wait and it is not my pool!

Hey who is your pool boy? How do they get your water so clear????? LOL TFP is the sparkle of the pool water!

Kim

Thanks Marla and Kim! Actually there are 8 different stones that comprise the wall. It just occurred to me, i wonder if the stones have a top and bottom? I don't think so. If they used some upside down, it would look like 16 different stones and would really be hard to see any patterns. I'll mention that to the guys. Today we have 2 guys here and they said they want to get as much wall built as possible. Pics later!

Speaking of pool boys, when my wife and i were in the pool last night, her eyes were glazing over when i was talking about problems caused by stabilizer in "pool store" pools. I mentioned that others complain about their spouses doing that, and that there are actually some pool girls whose husbands eyes glaze over!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.