Just a "Thank You" and need advice on algae on water feature rocks.

PenskeFile

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Georgetown
I stumbled across this site about two weeks ago, just before I left on vacation for a week. I had just received my K-2006 test kit, but hadn't gotten around to using it as I was experiencing a leaky pump and trying to deal with that.

Now that the pump is all fixed, I began TFPC a couple of days ago. I am SLAMing today as I have a good bit of yellow algae clinging to the walls. Just for the heck of it, I did a OCLT and found my FC went from 9 to 5.5

Our spa returns over several rows of rocks into the pool and that particular area is an algae breeding ground. It's very tough to scrub in there and get up between the layers of rocks

I have come to really appreciate the Pool School and Pool Math calculators and now have my own online log setup via Excel Online to track all measures and log the chemicals added. I never appreciated the need to keep the pool clear of debris and how that plus bather load will impact FC and the overall clarity and cleanliness of the pool. I think my family is in for a "shock" education on swimming pool behaviors.

So just a big "thank you" and would appreciate any advise on how to keep those rocks maintained clean and algae-free

Welcome, welcome!

I love it when the light comes on for someone, great to hear. Be diligent with the slam, and brush those rock areas extra. These will be harder to clean up, and may make your slam last a little longer than usual. Remember, the less you let the FC fall, the better and faster the SLAM will go. Don't slip on that above all. Then, when entirely passing the SLAM, don't let the FC fall below target. This will keep you clear and free of future Alage issues. It's as simple as that. Enjoy the forum and don't be shy with questions when you have them.

Amazingly, I think my first SLAM is successfully complete. I just checked my FC a little while back and it dropped from 4.5 last night to 3.5 this morning. I had (barely) 0.5 of CC after registering no CC last night. The moss rock area looks good, although I still see some algae in hard to reach spots. My knuckles are scraped and bruised from scrubbing them now. The only other issue I see is occasional spots of black algae which is very scrub-stubborn.

The water looks, feels and smells better than it EVER has in eight years of our pool. I am a hero to my family and I owe it all to this site!

I've got Boric acid on the way from Duda and the TFTK Boric Acid strips as my next goal is to perfectly balance the water and keep it maintained that way with the right FC levels every day. Of course, we leave for a weeks vacation next Friday so that will be a challenge. We have a young lady from the neighborhood who cares for our pets and waters plants, so I am going to leave some water bottles with bleach for her to add each day.

Hi PenskeFile, the first thing i thought of when you mentioned the rocks with algae, is to turn off the water flow over the rocks and spray them with some diluted bleach in a spray bottle, that way it might hit the hard to reach spots and between the layers, and will have some direct chlorine killing power right on the algae (don't wear good clothes when you do it though)

Hi PenskeFile, the first thing i thought of when you mentioned the rocks with algae, is to turn off the water flow over the rocks and spray them with some diluted bleach in a spray bottle, that way it might hit the hard to reach spots and between the layers, and will have some direct chlorine killing power right on the algae (don't wear good clothes when you do it though)

Great tip! It never would have occurred to me to try a "localized treatment" with bleach. I'll give that a try today if I can find a suitable bottle around the house. Any thoughts on the dilution? I have 8.25% HDX bleach at the house now.

Spraying the diluted bleach has worked pretty well. Thanks for the tip. There are a few stubborn spots left, but for the most part its all gone. The pool is maintaining FC levels pretty well, so the remaining algae is not wreaking any havoc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.