Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just a "Thank You" and need advice on algae on water feature rocks.

1. Back To Top    #1

Just a "Thank You" and need advice on algae on water feature rocks.

I stumbled across this site about two weeks ago, just before I left on vacation for a week. I had just received my K-2006 test kit, but hadn't gotten around to using it as I was experiencing a leaky pump and trying to deal with that.

Now that the pump is all fixed, I began TFPC a couple of days ago. I am SLAMing today as I have a good bit of yellow algae clinging to the walls. Just for the heck of it, I did a OCLT and found my FC went from 9 to 5.5

Our spa returns over several rows of rocks into the pool and that particular area is an algae breeding ground. It's very tough to scrub in there and get up between the layers of rocks

I have come to really appreciate the Pool School and Pool Math calculators and now have my own online log setup via Excel Online to track all measures and log the chemicals added. I never appreciated the need to keep the pool clear of debris and how that plus bather load will impact FC and the overall clarity and cleanliness of the pool. I think my family is in for a "shock" education on swimming pool behaviors.

So just a big "thank you" and would appreciate any advise on how to keep those rocks maintained clean and algae-free
    I live in Central Texas and have a 12,000 gallon, in-ground, plaster pool built 2007. Jandy CL340 cartridge filter, Stealth 2.0 single-speed main pump. Polaris cleaner with booster. Attached heated spa with moss rock spillway to pool. K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just a "Thank You" and need advice on algae on water feature rocks.

Welcome, welcome!

I love it when the light comes on for someone, great to hear. Be diligent with the slam, and brush those rock areas extra. These will be harder to clean up, and may make your slam last a little longer than usual. Remember, the less you let the FC fall, the better and faster the SLAM will go. Don't slip on that above all. Then, when entirely passing the SLAM, don't let the FC fall below target. This will keep you clear and free of future Alage issues. It's as simple as that. Enjoy the forum and don't be shy with questions when you have them.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Amazingly, I think my first SLAM is successfully complete. I just checked my FC a little while back and it dropped from 4.5 last night to 3.5 this morning. I had (barely) 0.5 of CC after registering no CC last night. The moss rock area looks good, although I still see some algae in hard to reach spots. My knuckles are scraped and bruised from scrubbing them now. The only other issue I see is occasional spots of black algae which is very scrub-stubborn.

The water looks, feels and smells better than it EVER has in eight years of our pool. I am a hero to my family and I owe it all to this site!

I've got Boric acid on the way from Duda and the TFTK Boric Acid strips as my next goal is to perfectly balance the water and keep it maintained that way with the right FC levels every day. Of course, we leave for a weeks vacation next Friday so that will be a challenge. We have a young lady from the neighborhood who cares for our pets and waters plants, so I am going to leave some water bottles with bleach for her to add each day.
    I live in Central Texas and have a 12,000 gallon, in-ground, plaster pool built 2007. Jandy CL340 cartridge filter, Stealth 2.0 single-speed main pump. Polaris cleaner with booster. Attached heated spa with moss rock spillway to pool. K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Good for you. Congrats, and remember, where ever you go on vacation, try not to be too hard on the hotel or hosts when their pool water doesn't look as good as yours.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi PenskeFile, the first thing i thought of when you mentioned the rocks with algae, is to turn off the water flow over the rocks and spray them with some diluted bleach in a spray bottle, that way it might hit the hard to reach spots and between the layers, and will have some direct chlorine killing power right on the algae (don't wear good clothes when you do it though)
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by poolnoob.ca View Post
    Hi PenskeFile, the first thing i thought of when you mentioned the rocks with algae, is to turn off the water flow over the rocks and spray them with some diluted bleach in a spray bottle, that way it might hit the hard to reach spots and between the layers, and will have some direct chlorine killing power right on the algae (don't wear good clothes when you do it though)
    Great tip! It never would have occurred to me to try a "localized treatment" with bleach. I'll give that a try today if I can find a suitable bottle around the house. Any thoughts on the dilution? I have 8.25% HDX bleach at the house now.

7. Back To Top    #7

Dont know for sure but diluting it to 2% sounds reasonable.

edit: even that may be more than enough, even a 1:79 dilution gives 1000ppm chlorine using 8.25% bleach according to this calculator. although around the house i use 12.5% diluted about 1:5 which i use to spray inside toilets and showers or anything else i want to disinfect without any problems
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Spraying the diluted bleach has worked pretty well. Thanks for the tip. There are a few stubborn spots left, but for the most part its all gone. The pool is maintaining FC levels pretty well, so the remaining algae is not wreaking any havoc.