Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: INTEX krystal clear swg Users!! Or someone familiar with.

1. Back To Top    #1

INTEX krystal clear swg Users!! Or someone familiar with.

Hi,
    I was wondering if someone that uses the intex swg could tell me how you are liking the system?

1. What size pool and what size system did you get?
    2. Would you recommend this system? Or should i invest in a more expensive one?

Thanks!!
    AG 24' by 52" (13,600 Gallons), Hayward vari-flo XL valve sand filter-S190TSCP, Hayward power-flo LX pump-1HP.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: INTEX krystal clear swg Users!! Or someone familiar with.

My pool is in my sig and I got the Krystal clear swg system for 7000 gal pools. I love it...when it works Having an issue with it now that hopefully will be fixed under warranty (replacement). I've heard a lot of people have great success with it so hoping I just got a bad egg. Intex support has been great though.
    25,000 gallon inground plaster
    K-2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

16' x 48" Ultra Frame with CS8110 SWG (7000 gal model?). I wouldn't be without it. I've been using an Intex SWG for 4 years now. I've had to replace the cel a couple of times, but I've been much more diligent about testing and maintaining my water this year. Plus I've upped my CYA to 60, and I don't have to run it as long as I used to, maybe 5 hours/day now. So I'm hoping this increases the cel life. I don't even have to clean calcium off the plates anymore, and I used to do that weekly. I haven't done it even once so far this year.

We went on vacation for a week and came home to a perfect pool.

Your only problem is going to be adapting the Intex fittings to your Hayward plumbing, since Intex uses a proprietary fitting. But there are adapters available, our you can make your own with a few bucks worth of PVC. I have an Intex pump and SWG with a Hayward skimmer and return. I hooked it all up myself, and I LOATHE plumbing. It was no biggie.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

4. Back To Top    #4
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

I am going to attempt this on my pool. It is under sized for my size pool, but another member has done it and it worked for him. I got it really cheap, so I won't be out a lot of money if it's a failure...and, I can sell it or buy a second one and run both together if it is too small.
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello Blondru,

I just replaced our 20 year old above ground pool with a new one. I had followed switching to salt for the past couple of years with great interest. I decided when we put the new pool in that I would make the switch to using an SWCG. Reading a lot of information in this forum and online there are many choices. Due to the money spent to replace the pool I wanted to try a budget model SWCG that I could upgrade later if needed.

Looking at the cost of the system it was easy to see that the Intex Krystal Clear units had the lowest upfront cost. In fact the upfront cost was lower than the cost of replacing the cells on the Circupool, Pentair and other models. So I figured even if I had to buy a complete new unit every 3 years, as long as the Intex model worked to produce enough Chorine Gas to sanitize my pool then I would be good.

While I don't have a long list of use yet, I now ask my self "Why in the world didn't I switch years ago?" I added 400 pounds of Salt to my Pool on Saturday, July 18th plumbed in the SWCG on Sunday and it started working immediately. I knew what my water balance was from my own testing with my TFTestKit so I didn't need to do any boost cycle or anything just program it and let it run. Based on my previous testing I was adding enough bleach daily to need approximately 2.0 ppm to maintain my target level. Using the output of the SWCG it would need to run 10 hours to produce 2.1ppm of Free Chlorine. I currently run my pump on low speed every night and the SWCG is programmed to run from 9pm - 7am for the needed 10 hours.

The SWCG has produced the Free Chlorine just as suspected and my FAS-DPD testing is showing it has maintained the level every day when tested in the morning. Based on my little use and the knowledge I have learned reading about SWCG, I highly recommend it. Here is a link to the unit I purchased on Amazon but you can purchase them at a lot of places,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Good Luck,

Dennis
    24'x54" Sharkline Matrix by Wilbar International, 15,200 gallons (2015)
    Jacuzzi 75 sq ft Cartridge Filter 1 hp two speed pump
    Solar Heat with Goldline GL-235 Controller
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 28669 SWG
    TF100, SampleSizer, and Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone for your replies!! You guys convinced me to get one! I'm going to order one right now!
    Now just to figure out how to plumb it with my hayward sand filter.. Anyone want to post some pics of how you got yours plumbed with a non-intex filter?

Thanks so much!!!
    AG 24' by 52" (13,600 Gallons), Hayward vari-flo XL valve sand filter-S190TSCP, Hayward power-flo LX pump-1HP.

7. Back To Top    #7

Found the 15,000 gallon one at wall-mart for $99.88!! Can't go wrong with that price!!

Also, is everyone using the copper feature or did you disconnect that? I've read some people disconnected that feature, can't remember what for.

And another question, grounding, bounding, how did you all go about that?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I disconnected the copper bars. They are unnecessary and can turn blonde hair green. No grounding just plugged it in.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

I never had a problem with the bars plugged in, and I know of others who never had a problem. Just the same I unplugged them this year for the first time.
    18 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    2500 gph cartridge filter
    Intex SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

The newer ones from Intex, called ECO, don't have copper bars anymore, no need to disconnect.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Blondru84 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies!! You guys convinced me to get one! I'm going to order one right now!
    Now just to figure out how to plumb it with my hayward sand filter.. Anyone want to post some pics of how you got yours plumbed with a non-intex filter?

Thanks so much!!!

Coming from the Intex SWG to the Hayward return, you can use the Intex 1.5" flexible hose (got mine at Academy). You'll need to add an extra rubber gasket to get it to seal, as the threaded ring won't pull it up tight enough with just one gasket. I added an Intex plunger valve between the hose and my Hayward return.

For the connection from your Hayward pump to the SWG, you can make something like this from PVC. Mine happens to be a tee that I use to make a fountain, but you can just replace the tee with a straight piece of PVC with a connection on one side that fits the Hayward, and one on the other that fits the Intex hose. Again using off the shelf PVC fittings, I had to add an extra gasket to get the Intex hose to seal.

Pentair IC40 SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

Oh really Mickelin? Good to know. I would think the one I ordered is the newer one. I guess we'll see when it comes in.

13. Back To Top    #13

Nice!! Thank you for the photos. Will help out a lot!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Blondru84 View Post
    Oh really Mickelin? Good to know. I would think the one I ordered is the newer one. I guess we'll see when it comes in.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
    I also recently ordered the same one from Walmart for $99 earlier this month.
    I did get the newer model that has the "Electrocatalytic Oxidation" cell instead of the old copper ion cell. Not much info out about what exactly it does but it does work great.
    Something to do with AOPs (Advanced Oxidation Processes) and wastewater treatment of organics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...dation_process Sort of a booster for the Chlorine I guess. It seems like it is an ozone generator which is a nice thing to have.

As long as the product and the picture on the box looks like this one you will have the newer unit. It has both the inlet and outlet pointed to the back of the unit. The older copper versions had either both pointed out to the sides or just the inlet pointed out to the side.

61XRBNU4KqL._SX522_.jpg
    Coleman 5300 gal 16'x48" AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear 2800gph Sand Filter Pump 28647EG (56673EG)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System ECO 8110
    Taylor K-2006 & K-1766 test kits w/ Speedstir and Samplesizer

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm considering a Intex SWG for my 16x48 Intex. I see a 7000 gallon model but the 15000 gallon model is only $30 more. Would the larger SWG allow for shorter run times on the pump/SWG to maintain FC levels? Is there any reason I wouldn't want to "oversize" it?

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by CleanSwim View Post
    I'm considering a Intex SWG for my 16x48 Intex. I see a 7000 gallon model but the 15000 gallon model is only $30 more. Would the larger SWG allow for shorter run times on the pump/SWG to maintain FC levels? Is there any reason I wouldn't want to "oversize" it?
    I have the 15000 gallon version the ECO8110 on a 16'x48".
    It will mean a shorter run time to reach the same levels than the 7000 gallon version. Both use the same instruction manual and list different run times for each. For example; the 7110 model recommends that for a 16'x48" pool you will need to run the salt system between 5-7 hours depending on temperature. While the larger 8110 calls for 2-4 hours. Your run time will vary but this gives you an idea of the difference between the two models. I believe its worth the extra couple of bucks for the larger model.
    Have you checked Walmart online? They are selling both models for the same price right now @ $99.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krys...allon/40900286
    Coleman 5300 gal 16'x48" AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear 2800gph Sand Filter Pump 28647EG (56673EG)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System ECO 8110
    Taylor K-2006 & K-1766 test kits w/ Speedstir and Samplesizer

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes, shorter run time and no reason not to oversize it. SWG life is based on how many hours it operates making chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

I bought the Intex 2500gph SWG about a week ago it worked fine until a few days ago getting a high salt alarm while my salt level is fine 3000ppm. Intex sent me a replacement. Replaced it and the alarm was still there. I replaced the filter then the high salt alarm went away.
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks guys. I took advantage of the Walmart price and went for it. Doing the free ship to store option so I won't have it til later next week.