Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turning on IC40 in new pool CYA still not where it needs to be can I run SWG and Puck

1. Back To Top    #1

Turning on IC40 in new pool CYA still not where it needs to be can I run SWG and Puck

Past my plaster breaking period, my salt is in the desired range per my manufacture, I took my CYA to 30 using grannuals in a sock in my skimmers, I've been running three trichlor pucks in a floater for the past three weeks to chlorinate and raise CYA and I'm still adding a little bleach every other day to keep the chlorine level around 4.

So here's my question, I'd like to install my SWG today and start using it, however, my CYA is sitting at around 40 and should be between 70 and 80. Should I go buy some more conditioner and throw it in a sock in the skimmer to raise the CYA, or should I run my SWG at a lower level and continue floating trichlor pucks for a couple of weeks to bring-up my CYA.

I figure I'm going to use the trichlor pucks this winter so buying additional conditioner isn't a big deal as everything will get used.

Also, any additional tips on running IC40 for the first time?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Turning on IC40 in new pool CYA still not where it needs to be can I run SWG and

I'd suggest going ahead and starting the swcg and then adding CYA granules to raise the CYA in the next few days.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Turning on IC40 in new pool CYA still not where it needs to be can I run SWG and

Installed cell over lunch, all lights green, reporting salt at 3200 (will throw another bag of salt in tonight to get to the recommended 3400), started at 1450 rpm and took her as low as 1200 rpm and she was working great. Set her at 50% while I still have that puck floater in there, will get to store tonight or tomorrow to get additional CYA and will then switch to SWG and bleach until my CYA gets to where it needs to be.

As soon as I connected her to my panel and powered panel back-up she popped right up on my screen-logic system, very cool!

Thanks for the advice
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)