FC is constant overnight but still visible algae???

Jul 6, 2014
St. Louis MO
hello,
We've been battling algae ever since we upgraded our pool equipment. We knew we might have some minor problems because the pump was off for several days while we plumbed a new pump, sand filter, and liquid chlorinator.
Sure enough, we had a little bit of green on the bottom of the pool. If you swipe the brush across it, it disappeared. So it must be algae, right? So we shocked the pool. Repeatedly. We've done regular shock and are currently at yellow mustard shock levels. No impact to the algae.
Here's the kicker. I'm not losing ANY chlorine overnight! And Ive never had ANY combined chlorine, day or night. Not even 0.5. I brush the pool everyday, and now, I have enough algae that it is gathering in small clumps at the bottom of the pool. We've been at it all season, but it just keeps getting worse!
The algae kicks up a cloud of light green when I brush. It's never turned grey or brown. What am I missing?
***edit: we are at 20 ppm CYA. I intend to bring that up, but I figured I would wait until we were done shocking. We've been shocking off and on for 2-3 months now, with no success.***

I'm not sure. We are using the cartridges that came with the robot when we bought the house 12 months ago. So there is a good possibility that new cartridges would help. So far, we've only used him to pick up leaves and worms :( off the bottom of the pool. How often are you supposed to change the cartridges?

After 2 days at 12ppm, I noticed this morning that there was very little algea growing on the vinyl, but large clumps of algae laying on top of the vinyl in the lower circulation spots. (the crease where the floor slopes into the deep end, the very bottom of the deep end.) Maybe 1 sf Before, I thought that this was just a surge in algae growth, but now I'm thinking it might be dead algae, even if it is still bright green. The hubby is hoome today, so he is going to make sure that we never dip below 12ppm and run Mr. Roboto repeatedly. Maybe we are finally turning a corner...

I'm still not reading ANY CC, although last night was the first night that the FC dipped overnight (-1.5). So now I'm thinking that my DPD Reagent is bad. I'm having hubby rush order a fresh chlorine kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.